PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Combit List & Label with WinDev
Combit List & Label with WinDev
Débuté par Scott, 14 sep. 2011 19:08 - 17 réponses
Posté le 14 septembre 2011 - 19:08
Two part question:
1. Has anyone in the WinDev community been able to integrate List & Label with WinDev?
2. If they have, could they kindly share how they did it (e.g. share a small WinDev application with the community)?
Combit has always been resistant to getting their excellent enduser report writing tool with different languages - I found this to be true in the Clarion world, which now relies upon an older template (now open source) that was previously sold as a commercial product.
The reason I am interested in L&L over WinDev is simple - size, or more accurately, dramatically LESS size. L&L takes about 30MB of space on a workstation - WinDev requires roughly 130MB of space.
Posté le 14 septembre 2011 - 20:08
Scott,
what's the problem with 130MB? If I buy a harddisk nowadays it has at least 500GB of free space.
Maybe download time? Over here (Holland) it isn't a problem too, because almost everybody has high speed internet.
Posté le 14 septembre 2011 - 21:28
Scott,
I agree with Arie (Also live in Holland).
But what I love to see and am missing is to be able to integrate the reports editor in my application, with my layout and with my security settings. And with complexity below 10 not at 110%. Reports and Queries is to complex for end-users.
Posté le 14 septembre 2011 - 21:29
And I agree with Carlo again
Hi Scott,
I have used LL with Clarion in the past, but it was a "mess" :)
You had to "think everything" from the begining and users could NOT make NEW reports on NEW views (I mean Clarion views that where not designed by the programmer).
My users "hated it".
I finally went with Fomin, with Clarion (although I still have to make the Views in code).
130 MB for a complete RR, that is TOTALLY integrated with WinDEV is nothing these days.
Do yourself a "favor" and forget it .....
Steven Sitas
Hi,
And R&Q is SLOOOWWW.
If I start it on an enduser station, loading and compiling the project takes forever.
These are 2 year old Dell Optiplex machines with 2Gb ram running on XP SP2.
BTW: why compile a compiled exe? I don't need R&Q to tell me that there are compilation errors in reports other than the one I'm working on.
Even more annoying: it crashes 3 out of 4 times after opening the project.
Be it that it is started from the network, but all other applications perform excellent that way.
grtz, Piet
Slooow indeed. Unstable (when opening) indeed.
Piet, didn't you use a separate configuration (exe), holding only the reports? And use this one when opening R&Q.
Posté le 15 septembre 2011 - 01:05
Realizing that hard drives are huge, one is still limited to two things in a corporate environment:
1. Amount of space that a network user is "given" on a company file server to store data is not unlimited. Space hogs are tormented by their IT staff to delete data because it is slowing down nightly backups or causing them headaches to upgrade their RAID.
2. Roaming profiles - a "typical" profile that I've seen (and currently am forced to use) limits each user account to 50MB of space. R&Q wont' fit inside of that amount. That means the application can't be installed in the endusers profile folder.
Thank you Steven for your Fomin plug - I've known Oleg for years, and I'm the person that wrote the enduser help file for FRB . I used FRB in my Clarion apps for several years now and LOVED that my application footprint was under 5MB total, with an integrated report writer included! FRB has limitations (e.g. no Crosstab reports; labels are a pain), but it DOES show that a report writer does not require 130MB of space - THAT is ridiculous. I bought L&L 12 (and then 14) for use with Clarion and also found it to be pretty complex (much too complex for a "normal" computer user to learn and use effectively); L&L version 16 looks quite a bit simpler to use, with an EXCELLENT enduser help file that should enable nearly anyone with basic PC skills to create a report, and version 17 is being released soon with promised enduser benefits.
It is disappointing to hear that R&Q is both slow AND unstable - those are NOT good things to hear for an application that is being given to computer newbies :(
Posté le 15 septembre 2011 - 01:05
Thought of that, didn't have time yet.
I'll try soon.
Thanks,
grtz, Piet
Posté le 20 septembre 2011 - 22:25
Hmmm... 75 views, a few comments from other WinDev programmers that show interest in L&L and have serious issues with the PC Soft enduser reporting tool, but nothing from anyone that has attempted to integrate L&L into a WinDev application.
I've spoken with Combit (the makers of L&L) via several emails - they don't have anyone on their staff that knows WinDev, and apparently have no interest in hiring a WinDev programmer to make an attempt to get L&L to work with WinDev.
Posté le 22 septembre 2011 - 12:02
Hi Scott
List & Label can be easily integrated into Windev.
The API calls are not the problem.
More importantly:
You have to understand the concept of List and Label.
(Lists, cards, labels)
Without this understanding you can not use the api-Calls

Which List & Label version do you have?
Which Windev version do you have?
Udo
Posté le 22 septembre 2011 - 12:02
Hi Udo,
Thank you for posting :)
I have WinDev 16 and L&L 16 (weird that the most current versions of both are the same number ).
Cheers,
Scott
Posté le 02 octobre 2011 - 23:16
Udo????
Bump..
Posté le 02 février 2012 - 22:51
@Scott - Why dont ask Oleg to build a Windev Version of fomin? :)
Membre enregistré
1 message
Posté le 25 juillet 2016 - 19:38
So, has anyone been able to successfully implement Combit List And Label into Windev? -- This is the only thing keeping us from converting from Clarion to Windev .. A super easy implementation would be greatly appreciated!!!

List & Label is a great product,, but their support really sucks
Membre enregistré
102 messages
Popularité : +2 (2 votes)
Posté le 26 juillet 2016 - 12:51
Rick,

I'm a long time L&L user myself (with Xbase++) but since I switched to WinDev I never had the need for using it again. WinDev reports are powerfull enough for me. Although I don't use R&Q.

Sebastian

--
http://arnoldconsult.de
WinDev 21 with Oracle, WinDevMobile Android Apps and Motorola Windows CE Mobile Barcode Scanners, Python 3 with Oracle and MySQL
Posté le 28 juillet 2016 - 17:12
So, does anyone actually have a working interface to List And Label from WINDEV? I see many language examples on the Combit website, but none for Windev .. If not,, is anyone willing to do this as a paid project?
Posté le 28 juillet 2016 - 18:49
Hi Rick

I've never used List and Label, but I've coded quite a few module using
external stuff (apis, .net, activeX)...

I had a quick look at the list and label documentation, and they offer
all 3 cases.

So if you want, you can contact me directly about coding this for you.

Best regards

--
Fabrice Harari
International WinDev, WebDev and WinDev mobile Consulting

Ready for you: WXShowroom.com, WXReplication (open source) and now WXEDM
(open source)

More information on http://www.fabriceharari.com

Contact me at:
Email: fabrice@fabriceharari.com
Skype ID: fabriceharari
Tel # in the USA: +1 985 746 1422
Tel # in France: +33 970 444 445 (local number 0970 444 445)

Le 7/28/2016 à 9:12 AM, Rick Williams a écrit :
So, does anyone actually have a working interface to List And Label from
WINDEV? I see many language examples on the Combit website, but none
for Windev .. If not,, is anyone willing to do this as a paid project?