PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Wiered Project requirement
Wiered Project requirement
Débuté par Yogi Yang, 16 sep. 2014 09:38 - 9 réponses
Posté le 16 septembre 2014 - 09:38
Hello All,

Just today I received a very wiered software project specs.

I know that is possible in other dev tools like VB6 but I want to know if it would be possible in WD17.

Here are the specs in brief:
Use encrypted Database system
Allow users to store PDF files in DB
Allow user to store Videos in DB
Show the PDF and Videos to user without saving them to any temp files, so here we will probably need to use streaming mechanism
Average size of PDF files will be 10 MB
Average size of Videos will be 60 MB
Lock/Protect the software to be time limited meaning the software will be unlocked and would work for 180 days and then again expire

TIA

Yogi Yang
Posté le 16 septembre 2014 - 11:04
Hi

what exactly is the weird part in that ?

That's exactly what I'm doing for my video system on my web site... If I can do it in webdev, I don't see why you couldn't do it in WinDev.

Best regards
Posté le 16 septembre 2014 - 11:06
The only problem i can see is the Show the PDF and Videos to user without saving them to any temp files requirement, all the others are easy to manage in WD.

I never tryed to manage his kind of files without using temp files.
Posté le 16 septembre 2014 - 13:22
Hi
Yes I think to the problem is not using temp files. Is it possible to make a temp file and after showing it removing it? I would not know how to do this without storing en a temp file. But that doesnot mean it annot be done.

For the time limited lock I would use trackmysoftware.com . I use that and it is a rock solid solution. Can be implemented in a view days

Regards

Allard
Posté le 16 septembre 2014 - 15:00
Hi,

Skipping temp files is no problem if you use an internal (WinDev or .net) viewer.

Regards,

Adri
Posté le 16 septembre 2014 - 16:07
Adri, what is the control (internal viewer) that you use to display PDF files?

Thanks
Posté le 16 septembre 2014 - 16:11
For the PDF files just use one image control.
something like:
hreadseek(my_file,.......)
my_img_control=my_file.my_memo_field

check the WD PDF Viewer example provided

for the video files i don't know how to do it without temp files.
Posté le 16 septembre 2014 - 16:26
Fabrice Harari

what exactly is the weird part in that ?
The weired part is that this is a desktop app and we do not want to extract contents of a Video or PDF file to a temp file and then load it in the software.

All the video files will be encoded using the ASF format of Microsoft.

TIA

Yogi Yang
Posté le 16 septembre 2014 - 16:33
Paulo,

Thanks I just tried this but I dont like the results so much. I prefer using a temp file and loading via a browser control and using Adobe Reader as the display engine. Thanks for the info though!
Posté le 16 septembre 2014 - 18:32
To display PDF, Word, Excel etc we created a little .net viewer (using DevExpress controls) and embedded this viewer in WinDev. I don't like the WinDev img PDF view option (like in the example, and also have a look at Pete Halsted's blog) because it crashes on big pdf's.

<a class="ExternalLink" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.thenextage.com/wordpress/a-document-viewer-component/">http://www.thenextage.com/wordpress/a-document-viewer-component/</a>

Regards,

Adri