PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → [WM20] What JDK / Android SDK versions are required...
[WM20] What JDK / Android SDK versions are required...
Débuté par DarrenF, 28 mai 2015 15:28 - 13 réponses
Posté le 28 mai 2015 - 15:28
Hi guys,

For someone (like me ;) ) who has just purchased WDM20, could someone outline what the best versions of the JDK and the Android SDK are required for WDM20 to work correctly?

:cheers:
Posté le 28 mai 2015 - 17:00
Hi. Im using JDK 7, and the Android SDK version depends of the Android target for your application.

Rubén
Posté le 28 mai 2015 - 17:52
Hi,

I'm interested to know what Android version you and others are targetting for their apps?

This link suggests that Android 4.4 is (by far) the most popular version in use at the moment:
http://www.statista.com/statistics/271774/share-of-android-platforms-on-mobile-devices-with-android-os/

Would you agree?
Posté le 29 mai 2015 - 00:21
Hi. I have installed all version from 4.0. Previous versions are very rare today.

Rubén
Posté le 29 mai 2015 - 14:26
I have jdk8 with Android 4.4.2 in w7/w8.1 (64-bit) and works a charm with wm20.

King
Posté le 29 mai 2015 - 15:37
Thanks everyone! :spos:

@King - You mention 64bit.Are you saying that you have WM20 64bit working ok in 64bit Win8.1 with 64bit JDK/SDK's? I ask because previously WX products have been a little (erm) "flakey" on 64bit platforms...
Posté le 29 mai 2015 - 17:17
Yes Darren, all 64-bit, don't go back 32-bit. :).

Not that I know it's flakey but it's good so far.

I like ios appDev with wm19, so smooth, and that's why I upgraded to wm20.

King
Posté le 29 mai 2015 - 17:26
Thanks King...

Are you also running with WD20 & WB20 64bit without any "flakey" problems?

Looking to the near future, I'm also starting to think about the effect that Windows 10 might have? :eek:
Posté le 29 mai 2015 - 20:49
Darren

I only upgraded wm20 for reason of developing iPhone apps of which wm19's
features didn't cover.

I wait for wx21 as I have too many versions for wb/wd(19-15) to look after.

And I don't see advantages on wb/wd20 vs wb/wd19.

Have you tried out wx on win10 previews and I'd love to hear anyone likes it or not?

Personally, I don't like w8.1 at all.

Cheers

King
Posté le 30 mai 2015 - 13:24
Hi

1. about JDK/SDK:
JDK: always the last version available
SDK: always the last version available -AND- depending on your targets, up to ALL the others ones (as there are many countries where older phones with older android version are still there, or even still sold)... so that depends on YOU

2. about 64 bits: no problem with the system, but MANY potential problems and SURE limitations with windev 64 (bits) (the editor)... there is a list of limitations in the help that you have to check to make sure it wont be a problem...
But really, you should look at it the other way. PCSoft published a 64 bits version ONLY for people who have HUGE projects (thousands of files in the analysis by example) and need the extra memory to keep acceptable performances... that's the ONLY plus...
If you are not in that case, stay in 32 bits, that's THEIR advice (and mine)

Best regards
Posté le 30 mai 2015 - 14:09
King,

Might need to "pick your brains" regarding iPhone / iPad apps. Like what hardware do you own in order to be sure your apps can be tested and deployed without any issues. Do you deploy to the App Store or just internally?
Posté le 30 mai 2015 - 14:12
Hi Fabrice,

That's what I thought... as long as nothing has changed significantly, I'll continue down the 32bit route :spos:
Posté le 31 mai 2015 - 15:38
Darren

I use Enterprise license from Apple and directly write to iPhone6+,5,4 and iPAD
and copying wm20's iosApp into iMac mini (OSX Yosomite 10.10.3 ) with XCode Desktop as the deploying platform to ios devices and it works a charm, just click-click-click, no hastle at all.

The Enterprise lic is great without sending apps to Apple Store but it's
expensive and have to renew it every year of cost US299/yr.

HTH

Cheers

King
Posté le 31 mai 2015 - 16:19
Hi Darren

as for the hardware to own... it really depens of what your target is... If it's an enterprise solution and you can IMPOSE a certain version of iphone/ipad + OS, then you need the same thing for testing...

If it's a general population app, then you need to decide what is your bottom line (and that's true for android too) so you'll develop your app for the LOWEST resolution and have it expend when necessary... You'll need at least your "lowest" and "highest" target as hardware for testing, if you want to be NEARLY sure you wont have any problem...

Be careful also that some hardware MAY NOT have their OS updated to the last version...

So basically, it is a pain in the ass to test for any case where you cannot FORCE the hardware choice (My desk is starting to look like a telephone store)

Best regards