PC SOFT

PROFESSIONAL NEWSGROUPS
WINDEVWEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile

Home → WINDEV 2024 → WD21 - Java App For Mac
WD21 - Java App For Mac
Started by André Labuschagné, Aug., 14 2017 8:53 PM - 11 replies
Posted on August, 14 2017 - 8:53 PM
Hi All

I am experimenting with a Java app for the Mac. What would the equivalent of FDataDirUser be?

Cheers
André
Posted on August, 14 2017 - 9:57 PM
Andre

you can info(fDataDir()) and it should be like
"/Users/theUserName/" and you can run terminal with $pwd, will list it out.

HTH

King
Posted on August, 14 2017 - 10:16 PM
Whooze, thought you'd windHQ on but Terminal is the way to find your data path instead.

You need to know unix bash command indeed when using Terminal in iMac.

HTH

King
Posted on August, 15 2017 - 2:29 AM
Thanks - that does not seem to be supported - going to try fCurrentDir instead.

André
Posted on August, 15 2017 - 6:29 AM
Andre

Java has limited support as I said you'd install wineHQ per iMac w/s and
just loadup any wd*I.dll/64/32-bit and EXE will work with functions like windows
but NOT JAVA.S'
Posted on August, 15 2017 - 11:35 AM
Hi King

I am not with you - are you suggesting:

[1] This Java thing with not run at all on a Mac?

[2] You are suggesting clients install an emulator and run the app in that?

Cheers
André
Posted on August, 15 2017 - 2:04 PM
Java is ok in iMac but it seems itz convenient to run native wdApp
under wineHQ as I dun need to consider functions like java not
supporting. Itz up to you and my main use is to compile IOS
apps fm wm22.

HTH

ps you hv to test wd App on iMac completely before
deploying to yr clients and itz not perfect at all.

King
Posted on August, 15 2017 - 2:37 PM
Hello André,

If you are going to go through the pain of making a Java app why just not learn and build a Webdev app then you are platform independent. You will only need to do updates at 1 point instead of every machine.

Dennis W
Posted on August, 15 2017 - 9:36 PM
Hi King

This has been taken from another app written for WD - I have just changed the target. There were obviously a few things I have had to change. I might have lost one or two functions as well. At this stage not critical and there seem to be workarounds. It is a very simple app.

Will try and get it onto the Mac and test every function before deploying. If it fails the test I will scrap it.

A windows app will not do as the end users will not run an emulator nor a vm - they will want to download and install and run.

We write many iOS apps for iPhones and iPads with WM. But this thing must run on a Mac.

Cheers
André
Posted on August, 15 2017 - 9:40 PM
Hi Dennis

This cannot be a Web App. it must be running constantly, or at least as long as the user wants it to, while they continue on with other work. It monitors a web service and alerts the user to new information. There must be no user intervention for the alerts. The same app is working perfectly on iOS, Android and Windows. I just need it running on the Mac as well. Hence the test.

Cheers
André
Posted on August, 15 2017 - 11:31 PM
André Labuschagné

Hi Dennis

This cannot be a Web App. it must be running constantly, or at least as long as the user wants it to, while they continue on with other work. It monitors a web service and alerts the user to new information. There must be no user intervention for the alerts. The same app is working perfectly on iOS, Android and Windows. I just need it running on the Mac as well. Hence the test.

Cheers

André

We deploy our Windev App to Mac using RemoteAPP, The app must run on a windows server but it's transparent to end user.
Posted on August, 16 2017 - 10:38 PM
Hi Steve

Remote app will not do for this. We use TSPlus for power users needing to use desktop apps - uses html5 and can be delivered onto any device with a web browser. But it suffers from the exact same problems that remote apps and remote desktop does as they all use the same set of APIs and separate instances have to run. It is not scalable and has security issues. But is has its place.

This app is not for power users - think a banking app, or whats app, or snap chat or messenger or any other communication type of app. The end user can be anyone from a sophisticated computer literate human being to a baboon in Kruger National Park in South Africa. Installation and usage has to be ubiquitous. We have no idea who the end user is going to be and we never have any contact with them.

Cheers
André