PC SOFT

PROFESSIONAL NEWSGROUPS
WINDEVWEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile

Home → WINDEV 2024 → [WD20] Restoring a Database
[WD20] Restoring a Database
Started by Curtis, Oct., 19 2017 6:54 PM - 1 reply
Posted on October, 19 2017 - 6:54 PM
I'm trying to restore a database from our backup server to our live server. I backed up the database from our backup server and then restored it on the live server. Now we are running into analysis issues with the wonderful "The description of the logical file does not match..." error.

I'm even catching the error and trying to sync the analysis with HModifyStructure("*", hmsBackgroundTask), but that's not getting the analysis synced either.

I can create a blank new database and this works fine.

How do I make the analysis bend to my will instead of always being a bully to my productivity. If I switch to mySql do I still have to deal with all of this analysis syncing stuff?
Posted on October, 19 2017 - 8:30 PM
Hi

First, you will need to be precise in your description.

I know what restoring a DB from a backup is (but even there, there are several ways to do it), but what do you mean by restoring a DB from a backup SERVER? And how did you do it?

Second, the analysis is NOT a bully to your productivity. If you do not understand what you are doing, YOU are the problem. So let's understand:

The analysis is the logical description of the DB structure.
If you restore a DB that had - AT THE TIME OF THE BACKUP - a different structure, then yes, you will have an error message, and that is a VERY GOOD THING. That lets you know that you need to upgrade that DB to the last structure, as described in the analysis.

So, how do you do it?
It can be done via wdmodif, via your program installer, or via hmodifystructure (but in that case, NOT with the background option, as you are here waiting for it to finish).

And yes, if you use MYSQL, you will still have differences in structures if you do what you said you did, the difference is that you will have to do all the changes in the DB structure BY HAND.

Now, if you are trying to correct the structure and you don't succeed, you need to give us ALL the details of what you are doing if you want more help, because I can tell you that I was NEVER unable to upgrade the structure in 25 years, as long as the files themselves are not corrupted.

Best regards