PC SOFT

PROFESSIONAL NEWSGROUPS
WINDEVWEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile

Home → WINDEV 2024 → Outlook email session problem in WD21 64-bit only
Outlook email session problem in WD21 64-bit only
Started by Jeff Graham, Dec., 10 2017 8:02 PM - 5 replies
Posted on December, 10 2017 - 8:02 PM
I have the code below that works in 32-bit and not in 64-bit. I am using Outlook 2010. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solution?

Thanks,
Jeff

MySession..Name = "" gwbSessionStarted is boolean = False WHEN EXCEPTION IN IF NOT EmailStartSession(MySession) THEN Error("The Outlook session failed to open.","Check whether Microsoft Outlook is your default messaging.","The default messaging is selected in the default options of the Windows control panel.") Close() END gwbSessionStarted = True DO gwsExcep is string = ExceptionInfo() Close() END
Posted on December, 11 2017 - 12:36 PM
Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure if it's the proboem in this specific case, but my rule of thumbs for 32/64 bits difference is as follow: ALWAYS use ALL the elements of the chain of processing with the SAME NUMBER of bits.

That means that if your exe is in 32 bits, use everything that it calls in 32 bits, and if your exe is in 64 bits, use everything that it calls in 64 bits...

So, if you call outlook from a 64 bits exe, it should be a 64 bits outlook. And if you call it from a 32 bits exe, it chould be a 32 bits outlook.

and that means that testing both a 32 bits and 64 bits exe on the same machine is often a problem.

Sp one solution I use for this lind of problem is to move the function causing problem in a secondary exe that I create in 32 and 64 bits. And from my main program (and at this point it doesn't matter if 32 ou 64) I call the secondary 32 OR the secondary 64 depending on what it is working with.

I'm using that system to "talk" with scanners, by example.

Best regards
Posted on December, 11 2017 - 4:58 PM
Hi Fabrice,

I suspected that could be the case so I installed it at my clients location where I hope they have 64-bit Outlook on some machines. I will find out today.

I have also send a basic test project to PC Soft and waiting to see what they say.

Always good to get your input on problems!
Posted on December, 12 2017 - 4:46 PM
For anyone interested,

I uninstalled Outlook 32-bit and installed Outlook 64-bit (you can't have both).

Then as Fabrice suggested, the problem reversed. Now the 32-bit configuration gets the message and the 64-bit configuration works.

PC Soft should fix this issue or at least give a message that says the configuration and application must match as 32-bit or 64-bit.
Posted on December, 12 2017 - 7:30 PM
Hi Jeff,

PCSoft can NOT fix this issue, AFAIK, as it is a generic problem NOT limited to windev, but to all exes and programs.

32b talks to 32 bits, and 64 bits talks to 64 bits (which is also why even the registry is separated in 2 area, 32 vs 64 bits)

Best regards
Posted on December, 20 2017 - 10:57 AM
Hi,

After upgrading my "Read-outlookmail-and-archive" app to WinDev 22 it do not longer work.

I suspect something on the WinDev librarys, there`s no errors app just closes without any errors. Versions of my app using WinDev 21 DLL`s work.

I will investigate an post on this thread, as it`s regarding Outlook problems, if it`s ok.

Cheers
Tor-Bjarne