FOROS PROFESIONALES
WINDEVWEBDEV y WINDEV Mobile

Inicio → WEBDEV 2024 → SMS in webdev
SMS in webdev
Iniciado por Paulino Rosemberg, 09,dic. 2020 21:56 - 7 respuestas
Miembro registrado
14 mensajes
Publicado el 09,diciembre 2020 - 21:56
I am coding a Webdev solution and would like to send an SMS text besides sending an email.

I see that the mobile version offers this, is it possible to do the same in Webdev?

If yes I'd like to see the steps to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance

--
Paul Rosemberg
Publicado el 10,diciembre 2020 - 14:54
Mobile offers this function because a phone can send sms.
A PC cannot send SMS (not by itself) therefore webdev, running on a PC does not offer that function.

That said, if you want to send sms from a pc (webdev or windev), you can:
- use a modem and AT command
- use a mobile phone as a relay
- use a paying webservice (google it, there's a ton of them)

the simpler solution is the last one
Miembro registrado
14 mensajes
Publicado el 10,diciembre 2020 - 18:38
Sorry to disagree but it is probably my fault for not being clear.

Websites CAN incorporate SMS sending by using SMS services providers like sendgrid.com or smtp.com what I should have asked is for examples of using Webdev to integrate to their APIs.

You've touched this point on your third suggestion.

Your response and guidance is appreciated.

--
Paul Rosemberg
Publicado el 02,enero 2021 - 15:34
Hi Paulino,

I have been trying to search for the same example. however I haven't been successful.

Now, I can tell you that God created caves so that the man could hide or protect himself from harm and bad weather.

So, this is what I had to do, and this only works if you know the company of the cell number to whom you are sending the text to and since I use Microsoft SQL server I use this tool Email system to send an email to this number.

Please note that I dont know if this works in other databases Like MYSql, etc

Second, you MUST not use this method to send bulk message because the carrier will block your texts

And this is how is done.
First you must create the Database Send Email Mechanism in MSQL Server ( I am Licensed to Use 2016)
Google it on how to create an E-Mail Profile)

Second at the Project Level create the following Global Variables

gsEmails_Texts_Connection_Name is String ///////// ***** This is very important ********
//Go to the analysis and get the name of your connection and you need to pass it to this Global Variable like this

gsEmails_Texts_Connection_Name = "YOUR CONNECTION NAME FROM THE ANALYSIS" //Include the Quotation

gsMobile_Number is string
gsEmail_Body_Information is string
gsSubject is string

Third you need to configure a Global Server procedures at your Project Level (Not at the Form Level, you could at the Form Level, but this way you will benefit Globally)

Then you create the mechanism to pass the values to the variables and then call the Procedure.
You can do it from a button or within your code from any Page or Popup like this

gsEmails_Texts_Connection_Name = "YOUR CONNECTION NAME FROM THE ANALYSIS" //Include the Quotation
gsMobile_Number = 3057896358@THE GATEWAY NAME //Search On Line for the Cell Phone carriers Gateway Names List
gsEmail_Body_Information = EDIT_MY_MESSAGE_HERE
gsSubject is string = EDT_MY_SUBLECT_HERE //********* USE A VERY, VAERY, VERY SHORT SUBJECT SUCH AS REFERENCE : METTING

Global_Procedure_Send_Text_Message()//Execute the Procedure

Procedure Global_Procedure_Send_Text_Message()

vrdsQRY_Send_Email_Text is Data Source// Creating the query
SQLCode is string

/////////////////////////// Here we are going to Send a Text Message ///////////////////
//Sending the e-mail To The Authorizing Supervisor

vrdsQRY_Send_Email_Text.pMobile_Number = gsMobile_Number
vrdsQRY_Send_Email_Text.pInformation = gsEmail_Body_Information
vrdsQRY_Send_Email_Text.pSubject = gsSubject

SQLCode = [
EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail
@profile_name = 'PoliceStaffer_Texts',
@recipients = '{pMobile_Number}',
@body = '{pInformation}',
@Subject = '{pSubject}';
]

IF NOT HExecuteSQLQuery(vrdsQRY_Send_Email_Text,gsEmails_Texts_Connection_Name,hQueryWithoutCorrection, SQLCode) THEN
PAGE_Main_Page.POPUP_Error_Message.RTA_Error_Header = "Error Sending Text Message."
PAGE_Main_Page.POPUP_Error_Message.STC_Error_Message_Message_Label = "The Text Message was not Sent. Here are the Reasons."+HErrorInfo()
gsEmail_Sent = "Message was not Sent"
PopupDisplay(PAGE_Main_Page.POPUP_Error_Message,popupPositionXY,919,454)
ELSE
gsEmail_Sent = "Sent"
END

HFreeQuery(vrdsQRY_Send_Email_Text)////////////// Important to include this Line ////////////////////////

I hope this Helps you and others

best regards,

Carlos
Miembro registrado
14 mensajes
Publicado el 04,enero 2021 - 16:57
Thank you Carlos, I'll check this out.

I ended up using a service provider (click send) to solve this problem. I don't need to send many SMS texts and it is inexpensive (around $0.01 per message)

Paulino

--
Paul Rosemberg
Publicado el 04,enero 2021 - 17:00
Hi,

Can you share the name of that service in case we need it in the future?.

Thank you

Best regards,

Carlos
Miembro registrado
14 mensajes
Publicado el 04,enero 2021 - 18:41
clicksend.com (no monthly fee and prices as low as $0.008 per message (depending on the monthly volume) since I don't need many messages I took the least amount of messages which still cost me close to a penny per message...

--
Paul Rosemberg
Publicado el 04,enero 2021 - 23:44
Thank you Sir.