Publicado el 10,febrero 2016 - 06:04
Hi,

Can WinDev Mobile easily integrate and use technologies such as:

1. Bootstrap,
2. PhoneGap,
3. PayPay as payment gateway,
4. CSS,
5. Accessing native device features such as camera and gps, to name a few,
6. Responsive UI on mobile, whereas mobile is android, windows phone and all ios and includes phones and tablets,
7. Accessing hfsql or any other table greater that 2gb in size. (the hfsql control certer docs concerning the >2gb switch states that >2gb is supported only on ntfs and mobile was not compatible)

8. Can an app created by WinDev Mobile sync up with the server in online mode and then easily switch and run in offline mode when there is no cell or internet connections and then sync back up with the server when those services become available? In offline mode, the mobile app should be fully functional using the data that was retrieved from the server before going into offline mode.

9. Is WinDev Mobile really ready for consumer facing portals?

Thanks,
Stanley
Publicado el 10,febrero 2016 - 17:30
Hi. WM generate native apps. It doesn't use HTML to build the IU or the app logic. Only Java or Objetive-C.

1, 2, 4 and 6: No
3: you can use 3rd party libs
5: sure
7: you talk about a hardware limitation. If your teminal support NTFS then you can use HFSQL or other database engine.
8: sure. The apps are natives to device.
9: example?

Rubén
Publicado el 10,febrero 2016 - 19:07
Hi Ruben,

Is all the functionality that PhoneGap or BootStrap would bring already provided in WinDev Mobile?

You mention Java and Objective C...
Do you mean that WinDev Mobile automatically converts the WM app to a native Java and Objective C app?

>> If your teminal support NTFS
What do you mean by "terminal support"? Do you mean "device"?

I'm speaking of a mobile app that is connecting live (online) to a HF/MSSQL server on an NTFS OS & partition and has many tables with >10gb. So, for the offline support I need to limit the data that is retrieved to the device?

9: example?

Is WinDev Mobile a serious mobile development platform?

Are you developing and deploying mobile for public mass consumption? If so, any recommendations or gotchas?

Thanks,
Stanley
Publicado el 10,febrero 2016 - 19:36
Hi.

WM generate a complete Java app and compile it to generate a .apk

For IOS WM generate the Objetive-C code to compile and generate the app in XCode.

Normal phones or tablets ("devices") doesn't allow use NTFS formated SD cards. For use NTFS SD cards you must use a custom kernel with NTFS support. I don't tested with ExFAT or other Linux file system type with HFSQL.

If you want access to a Server Database you must use a Webservice or a intermediary Webdev page. It's a very dangerous practice to allow direct access to database (share user and password, etc). In Webdev page you can prepare and serialize the data for client device.

WM is a great tool for database works and the WLanguage give me a great flexibility. You can use 3rd Party libraries from GitHub for example, and the next WM21 allow use Gradle to integrate and compile 3rd party libraries.

The only "problem" i have with WM is i can't debug the app in my real device. I only can debug in the WM simulator, and if the WLanguage call to Java code then i can't debug it. And also the current app generated aren't offuscated. You must protect later your app from decompile.

If you want see other native development tool for Android and IOS look at http://www.b4x.com. It allow a great control over your app (you mus write all the code, make the assets, etc) and allow debug the app in your real devices and make a offuscate with proguard. But it's very tedious compared to WM.

Rubén
Publicado el 10,febrero 2016 - 19:49
Hi,
Before answering your questions please note that WinDev mobile produces NATIVE applications for each platform it supports.
It translates everything to JAVA for Android and everything to Objective C for iOS
So CSS and Bootstrap do NOT fit with WD Mobile ....
The above can work/coexist with WEBDev

Answers
1 and 2 - no
3 - yes
4 - no
5 - yes
6 - yes
7 - yes NO problem at all if we are talking about accessing C/S RDBMs on a server
8 - yes
9 - now this is a difficult question to answer.
If you are going to make a real application (with database access etc) absolutely YES
If you want to make a FANCY app that works through WEB services, I would work with something that produces HTML5 apps.

Steven Sitas
Publicado el 13,febrero 2016 - 07:23
stanlyn
Is all the functionality that PhoneGap or BootStrap would bring already provided in WinDev Mobile?
Functionality provided by PhoneGap falls under Hybrid. Meaning you can build a hybrid mobile app which is reality is a web app that runs as an app and accesses the hardware of mobiles.

In case of WM it generates pure JAVA code for Android and pure ObjectiveC code for iOS along with pre compiled libraries. So when you are developing with WM you are building a native app for the target mobile platform. So don't expect a native app to behave like a hybrid (web) app.

If you are targeting Android then you can use/call any third party libraries (.jar) for Android. But you have to be careful to include them at time of compilation of your app.

stanlyn
8. Can an app created by WinDev Mobile sync up with the server in online mode and then easily switch and run in offline mode when there is no cell or internet connections and then sync back up with the server when those services become available? In offline mode, the mobile app should be fully functional using the data that was retrieved from the server before going into offline mode.
This functionality is not available out of the box in WM so you will have to program it completely. To access remote data you will have to use web services.

HTH

Yogi Yang
Miembro registrado
1 mensaje
Publicado el 24,septiembre 2021 - 09:42
Thank you for sharing.