PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → WebDev - Difference between AWP and Non AWP pages
WebDev - Difference between AWP and Non AWP pages
Débuté par Joel, 07 jan. 2018 23:37 - 5 réponses
Posté le 07 janvier 2018 - 23:37
Hi all - I feel a bit dense - I still can't quite figure out the difference between an AWP and non-AWP page. I typically have used non-AWP pages. But I want to create a "Landing Page" and I'm thinking an AWP page is the way to go.

I get that AWP pages can be indexed on the 'net. But if the content for this page will come from a database and will be different each time the page is displayed, how could it be indexed?

Could anyone explain the reason for using an AWP page such that I'll understand it?
Posté le 08 janvier 2018 - 09:57
Hi

AWP pages have a name that is alwaysthe same . Thus they can be indexed. Dynamic webdewv has a huge number inthe url tyhat changes each time ( it is the session that you are currently in ).

Dynamiuc webdev need a constant session . You can see it on yhe webdev app server if you run the page. An AWP page is like a php page it has no session it there for needs less memory and there for is "Better"For public websites. ( Kind of what you can read in the pcsoft documentation )

Dynamic webdev is easy programming sessions etc are all done by webdev. This means you can declare a variabele ( global ) and use it in all your pages , without passing it through to thoose pages. AWP you have to do it yourself.

regards

Allard
Posté le 08 janvier 2018 - 16:53
Hi Allard -

Thanks for that! I get it a bit more now. But from what I'm reading, using Dynamic WebDev pages are basically just as good as AWP for a public website - esp. if you're going to fill the AWP from a database..

I'd rather stay with Dynamic pages, I'm more familiar with them...

Thank you!

J
Posté le 08 janvier 2018 - 18:36
Hi Joel

it completely depends of what you mean by GOOD (...are basically just as good as ...)

There is a very simple test to know whether you CAN use the classic pages you are used to : Do you need their content to be found by google and co, and therefore get you back new customers... if yes, then you need AWP.

If no, you can use the classic mode.

Best regards
Posté le 12 janvier 2018 - 00:59
Hi Fabrice - you've explained this to me before, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it - if the page doesn't have content, until someone brings it up (with an ID in the URL to tell the system what to populate the page with) how is there anything for google to index?

I mean, I get it if this page has fixed content, but I don't get it if the page has dynamic content.

Sorry for being dense, but this is something in WebDev / AWP I've never been able to understand.
Posté le 12 janvier 2018 - 01:07
Hi Joel

when YOU display the page in a browser, it has content

If you where to GET that page from a windev or webdev code using httprequest, it would have EXACTLY the same content, as long as you pass to it the same parameters

That's what google is doing... It calls the homepage of your web site, in it it finds links to other pages (if you are in awp), and then calls the links to the pages in question... Therefore, it has the same content that if YOU were doing it...

So every so often, google comes back to your homepage, and follows AGAIN the links it find to update its DB. Of course, during the interval during the two pass, it may reference content that do not exist anymore. Which is why you can set up a validity interval for each page, therefore asking search engine to come back en reindex everything more or less often depending on your needs.

In a NON awp page, the links are non followable: instead of being a regular URL, that you could type in a browser URL area, it is a call to aJS function that needs to be executed, and search engines are not doing that.

Best regards