PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Downloading from PCSoft
Downloading from PCSoft
Débuté par David Egan, 17 juin 2018 23:28 - 17 réponses
Posté le 17 juin 2018 - 23:28
Hi
Does anyone else have problems with the speed of downloads from the PCSoft website?

I have a nominal 100Mb/s connection which consistently runs at 88Mb/s - 93Mb/s, however the best I can do with PCS is about 600kb/s & usually not even that fast (340 this morning). From almost any other site in the world I can download 3 or 4Gb in a matter of minutes; PCS is several hours. Doesn't seem to matter what time of day or night, or day of the week it is always painfully slow.

David
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 00:40
That sounds about right from my experience. Start the download, check back periodically, and about 3 to 4 hours later be in your seat to start the install.

Be happy, back in the old days (version 5.5 or there abouts) we paid our $$$ and had to wait for them to ship it from France.
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 00:59
Yeah, been there, done that! Just don't see why in this day & age it should be so painful.:-(
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 06:30
Try downloading as an anonymous ftp user directly from ftp://ftp.pcsoft.fr/wx23_53k/us using WinSCP or FileZilla . It is usually quite a bit faster.
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 08:37
Thanks Donald; just tried that but only 219kb/s. Hopefully it might be a bit quicker later when it is much quieter. I really don't understand how they could let it be so slow; surely the general French internet infrastructure can't be that bad!

David
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 09:35
David,

I just gave it a try and it only took me a minute or 10 to download 3GB. About 6500kb/s.
But I'm close to their servers I guess here in the Netherlands :spos:
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 13:04
Hi,

Yes, that has been my experience in the past; many hours per download and sometimes crashing before the download had finished.

I've since found the best download experience for me (in a simnilar way to Donald) is to use the PCS FTP site, but I use "Free Download Manager" instead of an FTP client to manage the actual downloads for me.

It may just be a coincidence, but the broadband infrastructure I use has recently been upgraded to "super-fast" (in my case in the UK I'm getting on average around 30mbs) broadband, but I can now download each ZIP in less than an hour. Still longer than I would expect, but far faster than in the past.
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 14:31
Arie

David,

I just gave it a try and it only took me a minute or 10 to download 3GB. About 6500kb/s.

But I'm close to their servers I guess here in the Netherlands :spos:

That and you don't have the NSA filter slowing things down as it comes across the Atlantic.

Now can someone tell me where I misplaced my tin foil hat...
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 16:05
...Art, it'll be next to your VHS copy of Close Encounters?! ;)
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 17:06
Yeah, even from our UK uncontended 1Gbps circuit we only get about 30Mbps. It seems there is some load balancing or some other limit at their end.
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 17:38
...and if I remember all that time ago (last week), I think I was limited to 2 concurrent downloads as well!
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 18:35
I got 50Mbps (ie ~6MBytes/s) from my ISP 150Mpbs, I think it's normal and
I guess there might be lots of us downloading at the same time.

pcSoft claims they have 100,000+ developers around the world, and it
could be the reason when it's busy...

Regs

King
Posté le 18 juin 2018 - 18:58
Hello All,

My internet nothing special getting 4.5 MB/s 13min download for 3.8 gig not bad at all.

DW
Membre enregistré
1 623 messages
Popularité : +100 (114 votes)
Posté le 19 juin 2018 - 12:30
I confirm that http download server are a bit slow, even from france.. don't worry then :)
Posté le 20 juin 2018 - 14:57
Just downloaded all three v23 setup packs from ftp://ftp.pcsoft.fr (10Gb download) in less than six minutes (for all three) using Free Download Manager. Located in rural Oregon, USA. 100Gb connection through Charter Spectrum.
Posté le 20 juin 2018 - 17:19
Hi everybody

my 2 cents on this problem and the possible causes:

1. Server charge at the time you are downloading (includes Processor charge, Hard Disk charge, bandwidth occupation...)

2. Which server you are using as they have several, and as their little charger/exe/http downloader can access any of them, we just don't know (ftp.pcsoft.fr, ftp2.pcsoft.fr, etc).. And we don't know if all of them have the same resources.

3. What ROUTE your request is going through... All internet communications are going through a number of servers... A simple traceroute will show you that. As a result, the BEST speed you will get at any given time is the LOWER speed of all the servers you are going through... In my case (Guadeloupe, using Orange, I always go first to the USA, then to Paris, THEN to wherever I want to go, as all orange traffic is routed like that).

4. What your internet provider is ABLE to give you at that specific time...

5. What your internet provider is WILLING to give you at that specific time (after all Net neutrality is not a given, out there).

6. What everybody else sharing your connection is doing at the time (kidgs, video games, tvs, backup systems, etc)

7. How ASYMETRIC your connection is... Even for a download, there is some upload traffic (controls/commands), and if you have an adsl connection with only a very slow upload link, that may be your bottleneck.

8. and yes, Art, I'm not forgetting the NSA... (@NSAguy... drop us a word if you want to chime in)...

So, all these factors can and will influence your download speed... Some of them you can work on, most you can't...

Best regards
Membre enregistré
1 623 messages
Popularité : +100 (114 votes)
Posté le 21 juin 2018 - 14:33
Donald Montaine a écrit :
> Just downloaded all three v23 setup packs from ftp://ftp.pcsoft.fr (10Gb download) in less than six minutes (for all three) using Free Download Manager. Located in rural Oregon, USA. 100Gb connection through Charter Spectrum.

This might help for sure, as long as the server accept multilple connections, which seems to be case for PCSOFT servers.
Posté le 27 juin 2018 - 04:57
Hi I use a little application
Called GetRight sorry I do not remember the link
Also when downloading a new version from WinDev
It lets you segment the download
I think there are a couple of free ones
Peter