PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → WB 23 - Need help with a warning message
WB 23 - Need help with a warning message
Débuté par Don Schwirtlich, 12 aoû. 2018 06:08 - 10 réponses
Posté le 12 août 2018 - 06:08
>> Warning : In order for the 'PAGE_QF2' page to be referenced by the search engines, the call to PageDisplay() can be replaced by a direct link. To do so, choose 'Display the PAGE_QF2 page' in the description of the 'LINK_QF2' control.<<

When this warning tells me I can (must?) replace a PageDisplay(Page_QF2) with a 'direct link' - what is direct link referring to - searched the tutorial docs, didnt find anything.

Thanks in advance

Don
Posté le 12 août 2018 - 11:04
Hi Don,

The message says it all, you have the option to choose the page from a list on the general tab of the link, "Action".
Then the link will be visible to search engines.
You can check this when running the page test, by hovering the link and check the statusbar of the browser:
Only when the action is defined to show the page there will be a referable link.

Kind regards,
Piet
Posté le 12 août 2018 - 14:30
Hi Don

a little more in depth...

1. PageDisplay is a JS function part of the webdev JS libraries...
2. Search engines do NOT follow links to pages managed via JavaScript (as it would mean executing code to resolve them)

the result of 1 and 2 is the warning message displayed: if you work with pagedisplay, the page in question will NOT be referenced by search engines.

So now, for your question: "What is a direct link?"
Think about it in the html code of the page... PageDisplay is a call to a js function, a direct link is a html directive link=YourPageURL. And THAT, the search engine will follow.

So, the warning message offers then to use the builtin direct link facility, ie go into the link control property, and instead of chosing the action to execute the code, to choose the action "Display PageXXX"... This will include a direct link in the html page.

Now, for the part that nobody talked about yet.

This Display PageXXX action has a BIIIIIIIG drawback.... You cannot pass dynamic parameters to the page in question.
So, if you want/need to display a page with dynamic parameters and stil have that page referenced by search engine, you will need to built the URL for that page by code, then call it with a scriptdisplay of the page display (or change the ..link value of the control)...

All that and much more is explained in details in one of my webdev videos (the one about SEO)...

I suggest that you take the time to watch all of my webdev videos before going any further. That will save you a ton of time.

Best regards
Posté le 12 août 2018 - 14:51
Thank you Fabrice, I have watched the first two, i will continue to watch the rest.
Posté le 13 août 2018 - 04:11
Hi Don

You wrote:
>The little bit of 'actual' work I have done so far using this product , has confirmed that I >made the right choice with PCSoft. No doubt , as I climb the learning curve, i will >encounter 'issues', but so much of what I see here, is good.

Been there done that with many tools some of which you have mentioned and now ended up in Montpelier. I can say unequivocally that for us the productivity of web apps has skyrocketed through the roof and the depth of functionality and ease of use PCSoft has brought to the table has been astonishing. There is a learning curve to get to grips with the nuances and concepts and especially the idea of two separate "apps" or bits of code running on a server and the other on any number of clients out there. But PCSoft has made it very easy to get something out of the box and functioning with very little effort. Just keep plugging away at it and release something for someone to hammer away at as that is where the rubber hits the road and the learning accelerates. And always go back to offerings such as Fabrice [highly recommended] where you can revisit your understanding - sometimes on first examination you miss something.

This week we hope to finish a web app that has taken us probably three weeks from scratch that will save the client hundreds and thousands of dollars where they were using something similar and in the cloud produced by an MS outfit with a couple of dozen of developers taking maybe years to produce. WB has its place and can save many dollars and add many years to the life of developers who can concentrate on design and leave much of the grunt work to PCSoft. In many ways they have hit the sweet spot for many software outfits. It is not a solution for all problems [nothing ever is] but where it fits the bill it sure works a treat.

Keep at it and above all have lots of fun.

Cheers
André
Posté le 13 août 2018 - 12:47
Great advice, Andre, and so very on with regards to Fabrice's "Do's and Don'ts" among so much other information from this fine gentleman.

So much of what I have seen , has made possible to do things that I felt like I was jumping through hoops that shouldnt exist. I kept thinking as I went through all those other tools, surely someone has done what Clarion started out doing some 30 years ago - but did it correctly - and so much as I walk, stumble, trip, but continue to make progress , it looks like the PCSoft folks did it.

Your point about getting something out the door for my initial testers to get their hands on - is the plan, 'tell me what i did right - but more importantly tell me what i did wrong'.
Posté le 13 août 2018 - 18:59
Your african bush is my island - where who the top of the food chain is, depends on what side of the water line you are standing on. Thanks as always to your very helpful tips and comments, read your white paper again late last week. Someone wanted to debate me regarding my choice of pcsoft - but my decision - was enough - I am going forward - and the very mickey mouse thing that I have already done far exceeds what I did with the other platforms I had tried. No more debates - only how can i make this better, how can I test this better, how can i safely simplify it , those are the only discussions.

Best regards,

Don
Posté le 13 août 2018 - 21:01
Hi Don

>> Fabrice's "Do's and Don'ts" among so much other information from this fine gentleman.

Will save you hours running down unnecessary rabbit holes - as I recently discovered.

I felt like I was jumping through hoops that shouldnt exist

In my experience with PCSoft if you are trying too hard then there probably is a function in place already - just ask - that is why I keep asking - someone may know of a quick way of doing something or even a snippet of proven code - this community is great.

>Your point about getting something out the door for my initial testers to get their hands >on - is the plan, 'tell me what i did right - but more importantly tell me what i did >wrong'.

If the testers do not find anything wrong then they are failing in their testing and you remain unqualified. In the overlanding world, where I go to get away from technology get into a kitted out Landy [Defender] and drive into the African bush where there are only dreams and few tracks, they say if you have never got stuck and had to be recovered you have not graduated yet. I have not got stuck yet and await the graduation in great anticipation. Programming is just like that. Cool - you managed to break that!!! Let me see if we can trap the humans so that they do not or cannot break it. :)

Cheers
André
Posté le 14 août 2018 - 06:00
Don Schwirtlich

Someone wanted to debate me regarding my choice of pcsoft - but my decision - was enough - I am going forward - and the very mickey mouse thing that I have already done far exceeds what I did with the other platforms I had tried. No more debates - only how can i make this better, how can I test this better, how can i safely simplify it , those are the only discussions.

'Bout time you joined the rest of us ex-Clarionites here on the Dark Side...:cheers:
Posté le 14 août 2018 - 18:52
Hi Don

>>Someone wanted to debate me regarding my choice of pcsoft

No need to debate - just deliver and that shuts them all up. There is only one thing that matters in this nut job pursuit of ours - and that is a satisfied end user.

Cheers
André
Posté le 15 août 2018 - 00:55
I was looking at this stuff 25 years ago - or more. The dongle thing bugged me back then, but 25 years ago, it was a toss up - Clarion, with Bruce Barrington et al, looked with the winning hand. And I , and a lot of us, made a living off of clarion for a long time. And yes, i like being with you, Vader, Andre and the others , here on the Dark Side ! :hot: