PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → [WebDev] Best way to version major upgrades
[WebDev] Best way to version major upgrades
Débuté par DM-2, 20 aoû. 2018 06:59 - 4 réponses
Posté le 20 août 2018 - 06:59
I currently develop both windev and webdev (from a common separate project model).

I am about to start a number of upgrades and new modules for the webdev project - and I'm not sure about the best way to version webdev.

I can either simply clone the project and keep production and development separate - or create a new configuration in the current project.

Any opinions, advice, caveats on either approach?

Thanks

DerekM
Posté le 20 août 2018 - 11:55
Hi Derek,

I always clone the project and use the old project to do maintenance stuff (correct urgent bugs) and do the development of new features in the new project. As long as the new project has not been deployed yet, use ONLY the old version to do changes in the analysis, because the old project will not be able to read it if you make changes using the new version.
Before opening the new project for the first time, be sure to temporary rename the old project directory, so any references to it in the new project will be invalid and will generate warning messages. After these errors have been corrected you can rename the old project directory to its original name. If you don't do it that way, some elements of the old project may inadvertently be upgraded by the new version and become unreadable in the old version.
Perhaps there's a better way using configurations, but I don't trust it enough to use it.
Apart from that, I don't have to upgrade the deployment server yet so nothing has to change on the server side.

Kind regards,
Piet
Posté le 20 août 2018 - 13:20
Hi Derek,

do NOT use configurations for that... It's NOT made or that at all. Configurations are for differents targets (by example, you have a windev program and a service developed in the same project) not for branches.

So either do it as Piet as described (my preferred way too, even though I simply do a backup of he old version that I restore in a different directory after migrating), or use the SCM and a branch... You may want to do some heavy testing with that one before doing a production run, because you'll need to perfectly understand what's going on when if you don't want to hit a wall.

Best regards
Posté le 20 août 2018 - 15:17
Derek,

as I read it you are talking about upgrading/updating your own software and not migrating from older WD/WB version to a newer one (v23....) right?

However in both situations I would do the same, as you discribed yourself :
I can either simply clone the project and keep production and development separate

And that you can do either by using different directories and copy the complete projects. Or use the SCM for that to keep track of older versions and/or use branches as Fabrice said. I usually do both by the way, one can't have enough copies just in case....

An important thing to keep in mind is wether your users are partially working in the old and new version at the same time. Then I should avoid changing names of databasefields or changing the database structure in general. Although there are way's to get around this it will complicate things. Adding new fields/tables is not much of a problem however.
Posté le 20 août 2018 - 20:04
Thanks Piet, Fabrice, Ari .. for taking the time to provide good advice as always.

Cloning it is :)

Regards,
Derek