WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Application without an analysis
Application without an analysis
Débuté par dj5f, 19 mar. 2020 16:06 - 7 réponses
Membre enregistré
151 messages
Popularité : +1 (3 votes)
Posté le 19 mars 2020 - 16:06
I have often noticed that some developers mention not using an analysis in their projects.
There must be some advantages in not using this in a project.

I cannot find easily any information on the subject.
I would be interested in any basic info on how to make a project without an analysis.

With a high number of tables of different types, how to create forms and program for data changes?
This obviously impact many areas of a project.
All relevant info would be welcome.

--
Posté le 19 mars 2020 - 16:46
Hi,

looking back over time from 2000 until today amongst dozens of projects there were only a few projects not needing an analysis. All others needed one. I'm very happy with HFSQL, it works just fine.

I can't imagine any reason to not use an analysis if one is needed.
Membre enregistré
151 messages
Posté le 19 mars 2020 - 17:20
Thanks. I agree with you. But I would still like to know why some people do not like analysis. And I would like also to know what specific cases would be better suited to that situation.

--
Posté le 20 mars 2020 - 09:31
Hi,

1 - there are a few program types not needing any database access. Examples: we added FTPS support for DOS-programs, we retrieved data from big DOS-programs in order to show charts, we are using WINDEV to write installers for programs with no or bad installation support, we're using WINDEV to print data from programs made with other programming languages which can't use WIndows-printers and so on.

2 - There are database types with a different philosophy from relational, which is the current standard. E.g. "Network Databases" which are much faster in accessing data than relational ones. https://raima.com/network-model-vs-relational-model/ , however, no SQL available. An analysis wouldn't serve your needs here. Many years ago I learned that NATO was using networks databases instead of the relational ones which were in their infancy then. I've been using one too at that time. How would you access such a network database from WINDEV? Right, you'd do it using a .DLL or something like that.
Membre enregistré
188 messages
Popularité : +12 (12 votes)
Posté le 27 mars 2020 - 16:20
Hi

Even with a database some developers (I'm one of them) prefer not to use analysis (at leat for other engine from HFSQL, so MySql,MSSql etc..)

The first reason is we do not want direct modification from the PCSoft tools on our database and moreover since theses other enginse understand ony SQL why bother with H Instructions ? If you parse the forum (at least the french one) you'ill find some users who have faced some critical problems (a table or a database which can empty itself because of the PCSoft synchronization...).

=> https://forum.pcsoft.fr/fr-FR/pcsoft.fr.windev/220478-hcreationsiinexistant-attention-utilisation-220487/read.awp…

I don't want to take this risk.

But it's also true that I miss some handy features of the analyse. I know them since I also develop againt HFSL Classic and Client /Serveur) so with the analysis in this case.

--
Côme, Clairinfo
Membre enregistré
188 messages
Popularité : +12 (12 votes)
Posté le 27 mars 2020 - 16:42
And one more reason : this force me to write myself each of the SQL query I send to the engine and all theses query are then optimal

No SELECT * FROM for instance, each time I try to send the "optimal" query.
You can do this with HExecuteREqueteSQL (without correction) writing yourself the exact SQL code but then it's very similar to SQLExec.

But sometimes I also use the analysis temporarly just to print an E/A diagram (MCD, MLD, MPD ...) or to quickly build the form from the tables, then I remove the analysis ! So never say "never" !

--
Côme, Clairinfo
Membre enregistré
151 messages
Posté le 27 mars 2020 - 19:00
Côme,

«Merci» for your reply.

I have started exploring the "No Analysis" situation, but I must say that it adds more work to obtain the same results.

I already use SQLexec in some situations, when WinDev does not seem to accept some queries which are totally acceptable in terms of SQL coding.

At least now, I have some information about the subject.

--
Posté le 29 mars 2020 - 18:11
Hi, I believe that you only have to prevent deletion of temporarily unavailable files! In my programs this is standard, I don't use HCreationIfNotFound(..) at all because a) the operation is much too slow, using the "*" parameter for all files doesn't reveal which file wasn't there. b) I'm using HListFile now, cycle through all files and find out which file is missing by HFileExist. Now it's up to you, the programmer, to handle the problem for each missing file individually. The whole thing was the result of a long discussion with PC Soft's Tech Support