PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → RubFic.FIC file missing after failed analysis generation
RubFic.FIC file missing after failed analysis generation
Débuté par Stefan BUTENEERS, 25 nov. 2020 16:40 - 6 réponses
Membre enregistré
23 messages
Posté le 25 novembre 2020 - 16:40
Hi all,

Today I wanted to perform an update of an analysis which has been updated numerous times before.
This time all of a sudden I got the message there was a lack of disk space on my C-disk and therefore the analysis could not be updated.
The lack of space did not make sense (I have almost 500 GB disc space left). Furthermore the project analysis does not reside on the C disk but on a netwerk drive with also plenty of desk capacity left.
I then closed the analysis without saving changes with the intention of retrying.

When I wanted to reopen the analysis I then got another error saying the RubFic.FIC file is now suddenly missing from the analysis.

Anyone know how can I restore the RubFic.FIC file ?

Membre enregistré
22 messages
Popularité : +2 (2 votes)
Posté le 25 novembre 2020 - 23:39
The simplest solution would be to restore the file from a backup. If you don't have a backup, firstly use this experience to ensure you _always_ have backups, then employ a utility to restore the deleted file (just Google this, there's plenty free available).
Posté le 26 novembre 2020 - 14:44
on top of the previous answer, the reason why you are having the problem is PROBABLY the NETWORK drive.
There are more and more restriction on direct access to files through the network and a simple windows update on one side or the other can change the rules.

So you are getting an error message saying that you cannot WRITE there (and then the wrong information that it is because there is no room left)

Most likely, its a permission problem. I would suggest that you always work on your local hard drive, THEN copy on the network if you need to.
Membre enregistré
23 messages
Posté le 26 novembre 2020 - 16:07
Hi Geoff,

I have backup schedules in place, both daily and weekly.
But hyperfile backups do not contain hyperfile SYSTEM files like RubFic.FIC.
Only the user data files are backed up and there is to my knowledge no setting that enables you to include the system files.
If I'm wrong, please let me know, Always happy to learn.
Membre enregistré
23 messages
Posté le 26 novembre 2020 - 16:30
Hi Argus,

I have been working with network stored projects (the analysis is a shared project for all my other projects) for over 6 years and never ran into any issue.
Furthermore it is a network drive in the same domain as my laptop and for development purposes I permanently have a remote desktop connection to the server where the projects and the data files reside. I have the server permanently displayed on a secondary monitor and use it sumiltaneously with the development laptop.

In the mean time I found the root cause of the issue:
The reason why this went wrong is because I tried to add an autoID to an existing data file. I never had to do that before because it is good practice to always include an autoID to establish water proff referentiality.
This 1 time I forgot to add the autoID to the file and several records had already been added.
Apparently adding an autoID to an existing file is NOT a good idea.

In the mean time I copied the RubFic.FIC file from the folder with the last succesfull generation in the xxx.ana folder) and then I was able to reopen the analysis, however with an error stating 'Item missing'. No further explanation which item was missing.
Upon inspection of the file I wanted to add an autoID to, with the exception of 1 field all other fields were now missing from the analysis while the fysical data files still had them. So there was a mismatch between fysical file and logical descriotion.
Trying to add the lost fields back to the analysis then generated errors: duplicate entries found with another error. Somhow there was still information about the field list history.

Finally solved this by also copying the RubFic.mmo and RubFic.ndx files from the folder with the last succesfull generation.
This enabled me to open the analysis succesfully without errors and this also resored the correct field list of the file I tried adding an autoID to.

Lesson learned: NEVER add an autoID to a file already containing data.

Which makes me wonder, is there a way to force Windev to not accept saving new tables when there is not an autoID in it?
That would prevent this from happening.
Membre enregistré
22 messages
Popularité : +2 (2 votes)
Posté le 27 novembre 2020 - 01:21
Hi Stefan,

Firstly congratulations in finding a solution.

Secondly, whilst not the solution in this instance, Argus has a valid point. Network locations can have issues with permissions and/or access. I too use networked PCs and I have had instances where the unc path of the format \\servername\path fails because \\servername no longer reconciles to an ip address. To this end I often give the server (PC) a fixed ip address then use \\ipaddress\path.

Finally, with regards to backup, I use a utility called Acronis True Image for all my backup and imaging tasks. The tasks are completely configurable and will include whatever you tell it, irrespective of whether a file is a system file, hidden, or whatever. If a file exists, it can be backed up.

Best Regards,
Geoff
Membre enregistré
23 messages
Posté le 27 novembre 2020 - 08:26
Geoff,

I think it should be standard networking practice to ALWAYS assign static IP addresses to servers, no matter what the circumstances are.
Furthermore, the first table to build in almost any solution is a server reference table to be able to dynamically move your database and to dynamically redirect whatever is referenced to from within the database.

Leaves us with the most important remaining question of this topic :

How can Windev be forced to demand assigning an autoID to each and every table that is created.?
Maybe I should start a sererate topic.

Stefan