PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV Mobile 2024 → Windev Mobile to access Oracle database... with what ?
Windev Mobile to access Oracle database... with what ?
Débuté par Yann Blanchart, 20 jan. 2022 10:31 - 4 réponses
Posté le 20 janvier 2022 - 10:31
Hello everyone !

We have software, which uses an ORACLE database (19C), and an Oracle Forms interface which runs on an Oracle Fusion Middleware server (12.2.1.4).
All this works on an internal network, but we want to develop mobile applications (for smartphones, tablets, ...) in order to add new
features to our software. For this, we have chosen to study the possibility of using WINDEV MOBILE.
On the other hand, we are beginners in the field of mobile applications, and we ask ourselves the question of the servers to be put in place to develop this solution.
In order to access the Oracle database from an application, for example on Android, what do we need? Oracle Database Mobile Server? The WINDEV WEBSERVICE program?
Both ?
Can anyone shed some light on this? :)

Thank you !
Posté le 20 janvier 2022 - 12:52
Windev mobile can directly work with SQLLite and HFSQL (locally, on the device) and HFSQL C/S remotely.
For everything else, you will need to use some kind of webservice for the communication, and that webservice will need to be able to access your data.

TO access oracle data from the webservice, you can either use ODBC/OLEDB or direct access driver (the latter is $$$).

that said, this is the answer to your question, but this is NOT the solution I would reccommand.

All this above relies on having an internet connection to work, and when you start working in mobile, you often loose that connection.

So I reccomand instead to use a replicated system. Your application alwyas work against your local DB, and you STILL use a webservice to do the replication with yout central DB, but only when the connection is available.

Personnaly, I have chosen to use the open source WXReplication system (free and made by Fabrice Harari), as this gives me full control on everything
Posté le 21 janvier 2022 - 09:26
Thank you for your reply :thanks:

I had seen, here and there, that when you create a mobile application to access a database, as we want to do, it was recommended to work on a replica of the database, to, if I understood correctly, manage connection issues or that sort of thing.
Currently users of our software already use an internet connection to work, and sometimes the connection is lost, but Oracle's transaction management ensures that all of this is well managed. For now, let's assume that we'll be setting up a system without database replication.

In this case :
- We would have Windev Mobile on the development posts to create the apps.
- We would have a server with the Webservice, which is provided with Windev Mobile (if I'm not mistaken)?
- We would take the native access option for Oracle, so that the Webservice thus connects to the database.

Am I forgetting something, do you think?
Thanks for answering me already! I search a lot on the internet, but the answers I find, for a novice in mobile applications, are often not very clear ;)
Posté le 21 janvier 2022 - 13:47
Yann Blanchart a écrit :
Thank you for your reply :thanks:

I had seen, here and there, that when you create a mobile application to access a database, as we want to do, it was recommended to work on a replica of the database, to, if I understood correctly, manage connection issues or that sort of thing.
Currently users of our software already use an internet connection to work, and sometimes the connection is lost, but Oracle's transaction management ensures that all of this is well managed. For now, let's assume that we'll be setting up a system without database replication.

It's your funerals... A mobile user will loose connection so much more frequently and therefore be unable to do his/her work than your current pc users that it's not even funny. The fact that at the DB level it will not create any problem is great, but the fact that your application will be in some case near unusable not so much.

As for the rest, I remind you that I'm NOT using their system, I'm using wxreplication, so take my answers below with a grain of salt.

In this case :
- We would have Windev Mobile on the development posts to create the apps.

yep
> - We would have a server with the Webservice, which is provided with Windev Mobile (if I'm not mistaken)?
yep
- We would take the native access option for Oracle, so that the Webservice thus connects to the database.

yep

> Am I forgetting something, do you think?

not AFAIK

Thanks for answering me already! I search a lot on the internet, but the answers I find, for a novice in mobile applications, are often not very clear ;)

learning curve is a bitch, always..
Posté le 21 janvier 2022 - 16:56
I take into consideration your remarks on the importance of replication in the system. Eventually, this is something that we could consider in a second step, because for the moment we only have in mind a few users (about ten) with very simple functionalities (a lot of consultations) in mobile applications .

Anyway, thank you very much for these answers! This has helped me to advance in my research, my understanding and my reflections :merci:.