PC SOFT

GRUPOS DE DISCUSSÃO PROFISSIONAL
WINDEVWEBDEV e WINDEV Mobile

Inicio → WINDEV 2024 → SCM Merge continuing problems
SCM Merge continuing problems
Iniciado por Paul Gruet, out., 03 2019 8:25 AM - 4 respostas
Publicado em outubro, 03 2019 - 8:25 AM
I wonder if anyone else is experiencing these sort of problems. We are working on a large WinDev project and use SCM branches to manage both maintenance to existing customer releases and code from two developers. Having done made extensive changes to a release branch we wish to merge the changes back to the main branch. However the merging process now fails for us in several ways.

1) We receive many crashes at random during the merge process
2) When we have apparently been successful merging, the result is corrupt. On one instance a variable was renamed throughout our code.
3) Where a new class has been created in the branch, the reference to it in the project explorer appears in the merged result but the actual class does not
4) Attributes to windows have been changed by Windev, notably on one occasion every button that had an icon with text underneath it had the text moved to the side. No one ever made that edit, it just happened!

We have run re-index and repair on several occasions as suggested when I submitted this to the forum previously, but this reported that no problem was found with the database. My conclusion however is that the SCM database is probably corrupt in some way.

The problem has been submitted to PCSoft several times now but they are basically not interested unless I can submit 'A project that exhibits the problem' . The problem is I would have to send them the entire database (several gigabytes).

Our development process is now stalled until we can find a workable solution for this

This is the response I received from PCSoft

"Thank you for letting us know. The developers have been informed and are working in order to improve the SCM.
Sorry again for not being able to help you more.
The Free Technical Support is entirely at your service."
Publicado em outubro, 10 2019 - 10:42 AM
Hi Paul,

I worked with WINDEV 22 with one client and I had many problems using the SCM and merging process.
As much as PCOFT delivered us an update only to fix some of our problem. Which I guess are in W24 (or apparently not...)

What I suggest,
- Create a new SCM database,
- Reload your project
- Recreate your branche properly

Then follow these rules :

- Do not merge new elements (new class, new query, ...) Import them into your project.
- Always check what you are merging even if you need to merge the whole window
- Only one developer (master) does the merging process.
- Do not create too many development branch (max 10) If you want more, re-do my suggest (new SCM, ....)
- Try to do continuous merge to avoid to merge to many things in once.

The SCM merge if not working very well so I hope that can help you.

If you need some help to check your process do not hesitate to contact me.

Laurent
AroundSoft
Publicado em outubro, 10 2019 - 11:03 AM
Paul Gruet wrote:
I wonder if anyone else is experiencing these sort of problems. We are working on a large WinDev project and use SCM branches to manage both maintenance to existing customer releases and code from two developers. Having done made extensive changes to a release branch we wish to merge the changes back to the main branch. However the merging process now fails for us in several ways.

1) We receive many crashes at random during the merge process
2) When we have apparently been successful merging, the result is corrupt. On one instance a variable was renamed throughout our code.
3) Where a new class has been created in the branch, the reference to it in the project explorer appears in the merged result but the actual class does not
4) Attributes to windows have been changed by Windev, notably on one occasion every button that had an icon with text underneath it had the text moved to the side. No one ever made that edit, it just happened!

We have run re-index and repair on several occasions as suggested when I submitted this to the forum previously, but this reported that no problem was found with the database. My conclusion however is that the SCM database is probably corrupt in some way.

The problem has been submitted to PCSoft several times now but they are basically not interested unless I can submit 'A project that exhibits the problem' . The problem is I would have to send them the entire database (several gigabytes).

Our development process is now stalled until we can find a workable solution for this

This is the response I received from PCSoft

"Thank you for letting us know. The developers have been informed and are working in order to improve the SCM.
Sorry again for not being able to help you more.
The Free Technical Support is entirely at your service."

As of 10th October we have still not received any useful support from PC soft and our development is stalled. Has anyone else had any experience of issues with SCM Merge?
Publicado em outubro, 10 2019 - 11:34 AM
Hi Laurent

Thank you for coming back to me, I have already created a new SCM database and re added my projects. So will try what you suggest as a work around which might at least get rid of the 'zombie' entries in the project explorer.

We are already on WinDev 24 so it would appear they have not put any fixes into that version.

Best regards

Paul
Publicado em novembro, 01 2019 - 4:05 PM
We stopped using branches altogether and try to collaborate with each other as little as possible on all of our Windev projects. The SCM is problematic. It's a shame we can't use something like git. We've got all kinds of automation and such on our other projects (Java, C#, Javascript, and Python) that allows us to containerize and even deploy to QA or our release train/queue given the Branch the commit was pushed to. Saves so much time and effort, and allows us to focus on the fun stuff -- development and teamwork!