PC SOFT

GRUPOS DE DISCUSSÃO PROFISSIONAL
WINDEVWEBDEV e WINDEV Mobile

Inicio → WINDEV 2024 → Is it possible to deploy windows WINDEV application into Linux OS directly ?
Is it possible to deploy windows WINDEV application into Linux OS directly ?
Iniciado por MS Tech, nov., 10 2020 6:58 AM - 4 respostas
Publicado em novembro, 10 2020 - 6:58 AM
I have a Windev application built for Windows , running on Win2012 R2 , since the past 5 years.
Can i take this above application and deploy in Linux (Ubuntu) OS directly. ?

Please help
Membro registado
54 mensagems
Popularité : +2 (2 votes)
Publicado em novembro, 10 2020 - 10:02 AM
Hi,
I think you have to use something like wine on linux...

Search for "wine linux" on google or
look at https://www.winehq.org/
and https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
or a wine based commercial version at https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover/

Hope this help
Bye

Andrea
Publicado em novembro, 10 2020 - 12:10 PM
Hi,
I thought WINDEV Applications are interoperable and run on both Windows and Linux OS without any change or software required to be installed. Please help

(just like how Java bytecode can run on both Linux and Windows , dotnet core can run on both Windows and Linux)
Publicado em novembro, 10 2020 - 1:29 PM
No... not 'directly'

Yes, you can use wine or similar tool to TRY and use it under linux, but there is a chance that something somewhere will not function properly.

Or, if you have the source, you can try and generate the project with a linux target, but in that case you will have to modify all the codes using functions not supported in linux (there are quite a few)

So, while it is possible, 'Directly' is not what I would call it.
Membro registado
50 mensagems
Popularité : +7 (9 votes)
Publicado em novembro, 13 2020 - 4:44 AM
@MS TECH, of course you can if you designed your application from the beginning to be cross platform from the beginning. I am guessing you do not have much experience programming due to the questions you are asking on the forum. First of All Windows is windows, Linux is Linux and MACOS is MAC OS. they are all different operative systems with a world of different API and interfaces underneath ALL DIFFERENT. WINDEV is a cross platform development environment ONLY IF YOU USED IT PROPERLY AND KNOW WHAT CROSS PLATFORM DEVELOPMENT IS. if you know your application will be cross platform you will NEVER EVER will choose a windows executable as your project. because that type of project will always be bound to the WINDOWS API (hence the name windows executable). If you are looking for cross platform you will need to go from the begining with a JAVA executable project. That project will run in ALL platforms where java runs, because it will run inside the JAVA Runtime Sandbox. But this is development school 101 knowledge. Now the JAVA executable will never have available all the functions or controls that are avaiblable to the windows api because is cross platform that means it will run and could be directly deploy to all OS systems where you can install a java vm and java environment. So if your application was designed as a java executable with windev de answer is yes.... it can be deployed directly.... if you instead what you built was a windows executable then no it will not ever run in there even if you use wine as the coleague above suggested. Now if you have the source like the other coleague suggested you can re-write the application and make it a java executable (you will need to remove and re-write all the functions that are windows only) and then create a real cross platform application in that way you will even be able to run it on a mac if you want too.