WINDEVWEBDEV e WINDEV Mobile

Inicio → WINDEV 2024 → HFSQL and SQL Server
HFSQL and SQL Server
Iniciado por Antonio Díaz, fev., 24 2021 8:18 PM - 12 respostas
Membro registado
70 mensagems
Popularité : +2 (2 votes)
Publicado em fevereiro, 24 2021 - 8:18 PM
Hi, I have been using SQL Server with an app for windows developed in Clarion. I am trying to move to Windev but feel a little overwhelmed by the choices I have to make. First, I hate the fact that there is no native driver for SQL server available for free but anyway.. I am wondering if I should stay with my db or change to HFSQL (first question).

Second, if I stay with SQL Server, will I still be able to work with WINDEV Mobile and develop apps? or are there issues I should know about?

Third, could I start developing and playing around with WINDEV using the OLEDB driver for SQL Server? If so, will I be able to make the change to the native driver and still use whatever I created before?

I thank you for your help...

--

Antonio Diaz
Emphasys Software, S.C.
Publicado em fevereiro, 24 2021 - 10:55 PM
Antonio Díaz a écrit :
> Hi, I have been using SQL Server with an app for windows developed in Clarion. I am trying to move to Windev but feel a little overwhelmed by the choices I have to make. First, I hate the fact that there is no native driver for SQL server available for free but anyway.. I am wondering if I should stay with my db or change to HFSQL (first question).

HFSQL is free, and includes an automatic modification tool when you change your DB structure... So, yes, changing to HFSQL should change your life.

Second, if I stay with SQL Server, will I still be able to work with WINDEV Mobile and develop apps? or are there issues I should know about?

HFSQL is available on android, iOS, windev, webdev, everywhere.... SQL Server is... NOT. Furthermore, you can connect directly to a HFSQL server from android and iOS. You cannot do that with any other DB.

Third, could I start developing and playing around with WINDEV using the OLEDB driver for SQL Server? If so, will I be able to make the change to the native driver and still use whatever I created before?

Yes, what you code with OLEDB will work with the native driver (the inverse is not true, as the native driver adds functions that are not available in OLEDB.

Lots of people have come from clarion. You can do it too...
Membro registado
70 mensagems
Publicado em fevereiro, 25 2021 - 8:11 PM
Thanks Argus, I'm starting to think there should be a group of Clarion developers that use Windev now... Anyway, I really appreciate your help...!

--

Antonio Diaz
Emphasys Software, S.C.
Publicado em fevereiro, 25 2021 - 10:30 PM
Hi Antonio

I to am an ex clarion developer. I made the move to Windev and have never looked back
MSSQL is my database of choice. I use the ole db driver. the main reason I use it is most of my clients already have MSSQL and if they don't We installed the express version,
Membro registado
70 mensagems
Publicado em fevereiro, 26 2021 - 2:59 PM
Hi Kel, has it been hard to make the transition? What soft of means have you used to learn WINDEV?... Anything you could share would be much appreciated...

--

Antonio Diaz
Emphasys Software, S.C.
Membro registado
794 mensagems
Popularité : +40 (42 votes)
Publicado em fevereiro, 26 2021 - 4:49 PM
Hi. Same feeling here. I was using Clarion for 14 years (since MSDOS version and Windows version 1), I bought many interesting templates, until version 8 was released and I saw that everything was still the same and with many bugs. Then I decided to try Windev and never touched Clarion again. To try to get the most out of Windev try not to use the same techniques you used in Clarion. Windev techniques are much more flexible and advanced. Another advantage is that in Windev you have many of the clarion templates included, you don't have to pay again for them.

Rubén
Membro registado
70 mensagems
Publicado em fevereiro, 26 2021 - 7:59 PM
I totally agree, Rubén. All those 3rd party products I bought are (mostly) already included in WINDEV, which is cool. I don't get an easy feeling trying to learn though, was it hard for you?...

--

Antonio Diaz
Emphasys Software, S.C.
Membro registado
794 mensagems
Popularité : +40 (42 votes)
Publicado em fevereiro, 27 2021 - 12:50 AM
You should try not to think about how you would do it with Clarion. With Windev it will always be easier. All of us who have gone from Clarion to Windev have tried to do things the same way, but later we realize that it is better not to do it.

Rubén
Publicado em fevereiro, 28 2021 - 10:58 PM
Hi
I did find it hare at first because it was a different way of thinking.
Now it I need to do something new I look in the help and it is generally pretty good.
I also look at the examples or the examples in the us site the have some great examples on you tube.
My supplier Geoff from software down under has been great if he does not know he will find out.

I cringe when I have to go back to Clarion is seems so primitive

Any help I can give I would be happy to do so.

Kel
Publicado em maio, 04 2021 - 12:09 AM
Hi i have been using MSSQl with native drive in Mobile, webdev and webdev
with no problems

I decide not to use HFSQL because no one Knows this database,
Crystal reports do not recgonize HFSQL all my reports in in Crystal Reports
If you have one application with HFSQL in your clients and he decides to buy a third party software
this client will be with a big problems

If you decide to use Microsoft Power BI, SiSens or any others on the market
with HFSQL you can not because they do not read Hfsql DataBase

att
Carlos Lages
Publicado em dezembro, 31 2021 - 8:40 PM
> I'm starting to think there should be a group of Clarion developers that use Windev now

Has anyone created a group for ex-Clarionites? Or at least a Skype group? I'd be interested. I'm just looking at WinDev after 25+ years with Clarion... and I like what I see.
Membro registado
76 mensagems
Publicado em janeiro, 07 2022 - 4:28 PM
Hi Frosty

https://join.skype.com/ChHzcnHCha7M - South African WX group that consists mostly of ex Clarion developers - any new developers always welcome - even if not from South Africa.

The group is mostly responsive to questions - even if the answer is - "it's in the help file - and a link to the help" :)

As time progresses, the WX questions becomes less .. until a new developer joins ... the current discussions are mostly of a programming nature ... with WX as the tools of choice...

--
Ben Dell
Riebens Computers Pty Ltd
South Africa Windev Reseller and Support
www.windevsa.co.za
Membro registado
3 mensagems
Publicado em março, 01 2022 - 5:49 PM
SQL Server with an app for windows developed in Clarion. I am trying to move to Windev but feel a little overwhelmed by the choices I have to make. First, I hate the fact that there is no native driver for SQL server available for free but anyway.. I am wondering if I should stay with my db or change to HFSQL