PC SOFT

GRUPOS DE DISCUSSÃO PROFISSIONAL
WINDEVWEBDEV e WINDEV Mobile

Inicio → WINDEV 2024 → Clarion too WinDev 8
Clarion too WinDev 8
Iniciado por Brian Holmes, set., 24 2004 4:47 PM - 22 respostas
Publicado em setembro, 24 2004 - 4:47 PM
Hello All,
I understand there are a few ex or converted Clarion users here and I am considering leaving Clarion and going with WinDev 8. But have a couple of questions.
1. We use Nice Touch's Clarion Query Wizard template a lot, is there a comperable feature in WinDev?
2. Will WinDev produce .aspx (asp.net) pages or do we need WebDev which I have seen pop up in newsgroups?
Publicado em setembro, 24 2004 - 6:09 PM
Hello All,
I understand there are a few ex or converted Clarion users here and I am considering leaving Clarion and going with WinDev 8. But have a couple of questions.
1. We use Nice Touch's Clarion Query Wizard template a lot, is there a comperable feature in WinDev?
2. Will WinDev produce .aspx (asp.net) pages or do we need WebDev which I have seen pop up in newsgroups?

1. I've never used that product before, so I can't answer. If you explain what the product does maybe somebody here that is well versed in WinDev queries can intellegently answer your question.
2. AFAIK, neither WinDev nor WebDev produce asp pages. If asp is a solid requirement (such as compatibility with ASP.net or existing apps) then neither product will help. However, if it is a solid requirement that you produce web sites easily and quickly, and you want to use the same language to produce your web site as well as your PC apps (vs. learning two languages - or three languages if you ever want to do Pocket PC), then WinDev/WebDev (and WinDev PocketPC) can help.
You can go to www.windevus.com and download an old demo of WinDev 7.5, or wait for the new WD 8 demo (maybe later this year).
Art
Publicado em setembro, 24 2004 - 7:20 PM
Hello All,
1. I've never used that product before, so I can't answer. If you explain what the product does maybe somebody here that is well versed in WinDev queries can intellegently answer your question.

2. AFAIK, neither WinDev nor WebDev produce asp pages. If asp is a solid requirement (such as compatibility with ASP.net or existing apps) then neither product will help. However, if it is a solid requirement that you produce web sites easily and quickly, and you want to use the same language to produce your web site as well as your PC apps (vs. learning two languages - or three languages if you ever want to do Pocket PC), then WinDev/WebDev (and WinDev PocketPC) can help.
You can go to www.windevus.com and download an old demo of WinDev 7.5, or wait for the new WD 8 demo (maybe later this year).
Art

Art,
The Query Wizard allows you to create queries dynamically using AND, OR Contains etc.
WinDev or WebDev does not produce asp.net (.aspx) pages. I though WinDev was capable of that. Maybe I am reading their whats new in 8 wrong. Looks like I may be staying with Clarion after all.
Cheers
Brian
Publicado em setembro, 25 2004 - 1:56 AM
Hello All,

1)
Brian look at the R.A.D Find Window (File/New/Window/R.A.D)
Publicado em setembro, 25 2004 - 3:41 AM
>WinDev or WebDev does not produce asp.net (.aspx) pages. I though WinDev was capable of that. Maybe I am reading their whats new in 8 wrong. Looks like I may be staying with Clarion after all.
Hi Brian,
FWIW, I didn't find where "Whats new" said anything about ASP, just .net assemblies and the ability to import VB and Access programs for automatic conversion. If you point me to that section and I'll see what I can find out for you.
Most of us Clarion users that also use WinDev or switched completely to WinDev use it because of the advanced features of WinDev compared to Clarion. Pretty much all those things that you hear are "coming in Clarion 7" are already in WinDev NOW. WinDev 7.5 Gold (with all those "advanced features" C7 will have NEXT year - maybe) came out LAST YEAR, and then 4 updates in a year period before WD 8 Gold came out July of this year. We don't have to wait for C7 EA to come out and endure months of beta testing before being declared stable enough to call Gold. Clarion needed a beta for a .1 release for how many months before being called stable? And PCSoft is working on enhancements TODAY that will further push WinDev's technological lead even as C7 tries to catch up.
WD in the box contains literally all of the third party products that Clarion has (and some say "needs" to be productive). Coming from one source rather than many means you have but one point of responsibility - PCSoft. With each release of WinDev the "third party" tools are syncronized with the core product, no need for a 3rd party EA shakedown period, nor any problems with 3rd parties that do not release newer builds as the core product is upgraded. And no potential problems where one 3rd party conflicts with another.
WinDev users do not need ASP, we have WebDev to create our web sites... which by the way, can use ASP pages. The Forum software on www.WinDevUS.com is ASP - we are writing the new WinDevUS site in WebDev and all we did was make a page and put the ASP code inside it - works just fine. Also, since WebDev uses the W-Language at its core (like WinDev), we do not have to learn ASP (in addition to Clarion) just to maintain and enhance our web sites. While on the subject of using only one language instead of many, if you ever decide to use Pocket PC's or have PC's access AS/400's, PCSoft has products for those two platforms that will further leverage your investment in learning WinDev.
However if you absolutely need ASP (like I said, we don't need it) then you might as well stay with Clarion/ASP or pay for RADventures ASP.net solution.
There is no tool that is everything for everybody, we users recognize there are some limitations to the product (a built in filtered browse locator like in Clarion would be nice - but I can program that if I really want one). But I for one recognize PCSoft is making a darn fine effort to provide us workable tools.
If you do take the time and read through the archives (link at bottom of this page) you will find many folks that agree (quote "It doesn't get much better than this!" from a brand new WinDev user with a VB / Clarion background). There are many more ex-Clarion users here than ex-WinDev users there. To use your words "So that tells me a lot".
PCSoft products = PC (standalone + C/S, Palm devices), Internet, Pocket PC and AS/400 access, all with one language, all with the same familiar user interface. Know one, pretty much know all.
Much like "Atlas Van Lines" is not a competitor to "Two Men and a Truck", PCSoft is not a competitor to Clarion. PCSoft is a competitor with Microsoft and VS.net. IMHO, of course.
Please don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them. We don't (without provocation) bite or flame you when people calmly and logically discuss other products here (unlike the usual "tar and feathering" mentality of the other place where you asked a question - Ian was right, you got off light...).
Art
Publicado em setembro, 25 2004 - 5:37 AM
Hello Brian,
WD8 comes with an example project "WD8 Queries".
If you are interested, I can email you a compiled WD8Queries.exe for you.
I own Nice Touch's Clarion Query Wizard template and I know that you cannot compare Nice Touch to WD8's query capavilities.
Thanks,
Don
Hello All,

Art
Art,

The Query Wizard allows you to create queries dynamically using AND, OR Contains etc.
WinDev or WebDev does not produce asp.net (.aspx) pages. I though WinDev was capable of that. Maybe I am reading their whats new in 8 wrong. Looks like I may be staying with Clarion after all.
Cheers
Brian
Publicado em setembro, 25 2004 - 5:48 AM
Hello Brian,
I forgot to mention about ASP.
You don't have to use Clarion/ASP because you use Clarion.
And you don't have to use webDev because you use WD.
If your database supports ODBC, then there are so many ways to generate dynamic WEB apps.
Why don't you try http://www.asprunner.com/.
Thanks,
Don
Publicado em setembro, 27 2004 - 5:18 PM
windev is the best and kick clarion far far away.
the only things in clarion that beat windev is their template language(i don't think anyone bother with it, too difficult but once u know it ) and wizardtron (never actualy implement , i guess is too difficult and I don't think their have capability to do anymore)
just try windev
Hello All,

Art
Art,

Cheers
Brian
Publicado em setembro, 27 2004 - 9:34 PM
Art,
Thanks for the informed info. We are still evaluating at this point but now I see verion 9 french is out. We have a number of apps based on ClarioNet and that is why we are looking for possibly a asp.net solution using WebDev or WinDev or a combination of the 2.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Brian
Hi Brian,

FWIW, I didn't find where "Whats new" said anything about ASP, just .net assemblies and the ability to import VB and Access programs for automatic conversion. If you point me to that section and I'll see what I can find out for you.
Most of us Clarion users that also use WinDev or switched completely to WinDev use it because of the advanced features of WinDev compared to Clarion. Pretty much all those things that you hear are "coming in Clarion 7" are already in WinDev NOW. WinDev 7.5 Gold (with all those "advanced features" C7 will have NEXT year - maybe) came out LAST YEAR, and then 4 updates in a year period before WD 8 Gold came out July of this year. We don't have to wait for C7 EA to come out and endure months of beta testing before being declared stable enough to call Gold. Clarion needed a beta for a .1 release for how many months before being called stable? And PCSoft is working on enhancements TODAY that will further push WinDev's technological lead even as C7 tries to catch up.
WD in the box contains literally all of the third party products that Clarion has (and some say "needs" to be productive). Coming from one source rather than many means you have but one point of responsibility - PCSoft. With each release of WinDev the "third party" tools are syncronized with the core product, no need for a 3rd party EA shakedown period, nor any problems with 3rd parties that do not release newer builds as the core product is upgraded. And no potential problems where one 3rd party conflicts with another.
WinDev users do not need ASP, we have WebDev to create our web sites... which by the way, can use ASP pages. The Forum software on www.WinDevUS.com is ASP - we are writing the new WinDevUS site in WebDev and all we did was make a page and put the ASP code inside it - works just fine. Also, since WebDev uses the W-Language at its core (like WinDev), we do not have to learn ASP (in addition to Clarion) just to maintain and enhance our web sites. While on the subject of using only one language instead of many, if you ever decide to use Pocket PC's or have PC's access AS/400's, PCSoft has products for those two platforms that will further leverage your investment in learning WinDev.
However if you absolutely need ASP (like I said, we don't need it) then you might as well stay with Clarion/ASP or pay for RADventures ASP.net solution.
There is no tool that is everything for everybody, we users recognize there are some limitations to the product (a built in filtered browse locator like in Clarion would be nice - but I can program that if I really want one). But I for one recognize PCSoft is making a darn fine effort to provide us workable tools.
If you do take the time and read through the archives (link at bottom of this page) you will find many folks that agree (quote "It doesn't get much better than this!" from a brand new WinDev user with a VB / Clarion background). There are many more ex-Clarion users here than ex-WinDev users there. To use your words "So that tells me a lot".
PCSoft products = PC (standalone + C/S, Palm devices), Internet, Pocket PC and AS/400 access, all with one language, all with the same familiar user interface. Know one, pretty much know all.
Much like "Atlas Van Lines" is not a competitor to "Two Men and a Truck", PCSoft is not a competitor to Clarion. PCSoft is a competitor with Microsoft and VS.net. IMHO, of course.
Please don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them. We don't (without provocation) bite or flame you when people calmly and logically discuss other products here (unlike the usual "tar and feathering" mentality of the other place where you asked a question - Ian was right, you got off light...).
Art
Publicado em setembro, 27 2004 - 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the feedback it is much appreciated.
One other question. We use Sybase SQL Anywhere database. We have clients that use notebooks in the field disconnected from the network. They are running a personal server version of Syabase SQL Anywhere on each of the notebooks. When they connect to the network we synchronize the data. Do we have to purchase a license from PCSoft for each notebook for their SQL accelator? If so that kills it right their because they are very pricey.
Thanks
Brian
Hello All,
Publicado em setembro, 27 2004 - 11:06 PM
One other question. We use Sybase SQL Anywhere database. We have clients that use notebooks in the field disconnected from the network. They are running a personal server version of Syabase SQL Anywhere on each of the notebooks. When they connect to the network we synchronize the data. Do we have to purchase a license from PCSoft for each notebook for their SQL accelator? If so that kills it right their because they are very pricey.
Thanks
Brian

I'm shooting from the hip here with little knowledge on how Sybase works, so I may miss and hit my foot, but here goes. I would not buy the native Sybase SQL accelerator if the data was just sitting on one machine. Use ODBC or OLEDB instead. The advantage of the native driver is speed and using hXxxx commands... you don't need the speed and you can use SQL (probably like you are doing now?). The only time I think you would need the native driver is when you have many users hitting the server.
Art
Publicado em setembro, 27 2004 - 11:30 PM
Art,
Thanks that makes sense. While your on a roll does WinDev 8 / 9 have anything comerable to Clarion ClarioNet?
Cheers
Brian
Thanks
Brian
I'm shooting from the hip here with little knowledge on how Sybase works, so I may miss and hit my foot, but here goes. I would not buy the native Sybase SQL accelerator if the data was just sitting on one machine. Use ODBC or OLEDB instead. The advantage of the native driver is speed and using hXxxx commands... you don't need the speed and you can use SQL (probably like you are doing now?). The only time I think you would need the native driver is when you have many users hitting the server.

Art
Publicado em setembro, 28 2004 - 2:58 AM
Art,
Thanks that makes sense. While your on a roll does WinDev 8 / 9 have anything comerable to Clarion ClarioNet?

Have never used ClarioNet, and I wanted to make sure what it was before answering. Went to the SV website but could not really find good info on WHAT ClarioNet really was (do they still sell/support it?). Can you give me a quick overview of what and how it works and I'll put that into a WxxDev model.
Art
Publicado em setembro, 28 2004 - 7:03 AM
Art
Art,

Cheers
Brian

Hi Brian,
Can't comment on WinDev but in WebDev you can do that and more - for instance WebDev allows you to compile code dynamically.
For instance: you can have a text box in a web page, at runtime *type in* some
code inside the text box, click on a "compile" button in your browser and the code will execute!!
Wow - I have never seen any other languages do that! (there is no comparison with the Evaluate() function in CW)
Jean-Marc
Publicado em setembro, 28 2004 - 7:08 AM
>Pretty much all those things that you hear are "coming in Clarion 7" are already in WinDev NOW.
Not quite true Art. "Pretty much" is superfluous :P
And I just came back from DevCon Orlando (CW).
Jean-Marc
Publicado em setembro, 28 2004 - 10:26 AM
Pretty much all those things that you hear are "coming in Clarion 7" are already in WinDev NOW.
Not quite true Art. "Pretty much" is superfluous :P

And I just came back from DevCon Orlando (CW).
Jean-Marc

Didn't go to DevCon, I got my info about C7's new functionality from ClarionMag and posts on the Clarion Newsgroups.
Are you saying I could drop "Pretty much" from the sentence, making it:
"All those things that you hear are "coming in Clarion 7" are already in WinDev NOW"?
Publicado em setembro, 28 2004 - 5:08 PM
Art,
No Softvelocity does not sell ClarioNet template anymore. The developer Michael Brooks has taken over sales at http://www.clarionet.com/
It turns your Clarion app in to a thin client application by adding a template. You use a small connect program on the clients PC to connect to the server application via the Internet. The main processing etc. is done on the server. The nice thing is that its a closed system and uses very low bandwith. This is because only screen/window changes are send to the client. And it will use the clients existing printer setup. There are other products such as Citrix etc. but they charge a seat license cost where this is royality free.
Basically we would like to develop a thin client app that has a rich GUI. ClarioNet allows the client to run the programm as if it was installed on his computer. It looks and acts as if it was installed locally. Asp.net etc. is still not there in a quality GUI.
Cheers
Brian
Art,
Have never used ClarioNet, and I wanted to make sure what it was before answering. Went to the SV website but could not really find good info on WHAT ClarioNet really was (do they still sell/support it?). Can you give me a quick overview of what and how it works and I'll put that into a WxxDev model.

Art
Publicado em setembro, 29 2004 - 3:27 AM
Are you saying I could drop "Pretty much" from the sentence, making it:
"All those things that you hear are "coming in Clarion 7" are already in WinDev NOW"?

Yes, pretty much
Jean-Marc
Publicado em setembro, 29 2004 - 4:37 AM
Art,
No Softvelocity does not sell ClarioNet template anymore. The developer Michael Brooks has taken over sales at http://www.clarionet.com/

Ok, I see the following for Clarionet: Install small program on client (500kb per article), client must be on Windows PC. UI is on client, processing done on server, data is on server. Screen/window changes must be sent over the connection, with access to data is via IP. Use local printer. Royality Free. Looks and acts as if installed locally (discounting the lag time it takes to send a message from the client to the server, back again and redisplay the screen - problimatic if the connection is slowed). Claims to be "thin client" but cannot use equipment normally used for thin client computing, still must have a Winders PC with a processor and disk. Also, has Clarionet been updated for C6 yet?
The WinDev Way: Install a real program on client (500kb to megs), client must be on Windows PC (same as Clarionet). UI is on client (same), processing is on client (different), data is on server and accessed via Remote Access (see WD 7.5 Help), with access to data is via IP (same). Use local printer (same). Royality Free (same). Looks and acts as if installed locally (except everything IS LOCAL and responds as such). No screen/window changes sent over the connection. Any modifications to the program would be placed on the server, and the next time client connects to the server the program on client is updated automatically (see WDINST - Network Instilation - also see Application Contol, where you can shut down the client remotely from the server if you want). Can use memory tables (queues) locally if desired. Both Clarionet and WD require a REAL PC, not a thin client terminal, so if you have to have one might as well use it productively. Processing is done locally taking adv!
antage of the processor in the PC, leaving server to process requests for data only, means the same server would serve more clients in a WinDev scenario vs. a Clarionet scenario.
That being said, in the instance of a closed intranet I can see doing something like this (data on server, access over the company LAN/WAN). However I would not do it over the Internet, too many risks. If the connection goes down or extremely slow due to ISP/hardware/denial of service attacks/worms/whatever, there goes your ability to use the program effectively or at all (both Clarionet and WinDev Remote Access). If you have to go over the Internet I'd have all my data local and use replication (see Replication in WD 7.5 Help) to periodically sync with the main server.
Just my 2 Euros.
Art
Publicado em setembro, 29 2004 - 8:41 AM
Brian,
I looked at clarionet and was impressed, that library alone would be a reason to start using Clarion. I was left with the question why you and others are considering a switch to Windev?
About Webdev etc. Forget it, it is non-existent for at least another 6 - 12 months in the English version. The English version of the current Webdev was cancelled without any explanation whatsoever some months ago.
hth,
Martin
Publicado em setembro, 29 2004 - 4:41 PM
Hi,
We are at a cross roads. Do we upgrade Clarion from 5.5 to 6.1 and all the accompaning templates that are NOT included with Clarion or go with another development tool. WinDev seems to have all the 3rd party templates that are available to Clarion (at additional cost) built in. And PCSoft seems to have a better quicker planned development path for their products. We are still evaluating so no descission has been made yet.
Cheers
Brian
Brian,
I looked at clarionet and was impressed, that library alone would be a reason to start using Clarion. I was left with the question why you and others are considering a switch to Windev?
About Webdev etc. Forget it, it is non-existent for at least another 6 - 12 months in the English version. The English version of the current Webdev was cancelled without any explanation whatsoever some months ago.
hth,
Martin
Publicado em setembro, 29 2004 - 5:27 PM
Hi Art,
Thanks for the response. sSome interesting ideas.
With ClarioNet ONLY screen / windows changes are sent to the Client. No data is transfered. Thus extremely low bandwidth requirement, 5 bytes in some cases is all that is transfered. So the program speed is like it is installed locally.
Cheers
Brian
Art,
Ok, I see the following for Clarionet: Install small program on client (500kb per article), client must be on Windows PC. UI is on client, processing done on server, data is on server. Screen/window changes must be sent over the connection, with access to data is via IP. Use local printer. Royality Free. Looks and acts as if installed locally (discounting the lag time it takes to send a message from the client to the server, back again and redisplay the screen - problimatic if the connection is slowed). Claims to be "thin client" but cannot use equipment normally used for thin client computing, still must have a Winders PC with a processor and disk. Also, has Clarionet been updated for C6 yet?

The WinDev Way: Install a real program on client (500kb to megs), client must be on Windows PC (same as Clarionet). UI is on client (same), processing is on client (different), data is on server and accessed via Remote Access (see WD 7.5 Help), with access to data is via IP (same). Use local printer (same). Royality Free (same). Looks and acts as if installed locally (except everything IS LOCAL and responds as such). No screen/window changes sent over the connection. Any modifications to the program would be placed on the server, and the next time client connects to the server the program on client is updated automatically (see WDINST - Network Instilation - also see Application Contol, where you can shut down the client remotely from the server if you want). Can use memory tables (queues) locally if desired. Both Clarionet and WD require a REAL PC, not a thin client terminal, so if you have to have one might as well use it productively. Processing is done locally taking ad!

vantage of the processor in the PC, leaving server to process requests for data only, means the same server would serve more clients in a WinDev scenario vs. a Clarionet scenario.
That being said, in the instance of a closed intranet I can see doing something like this (data on server, access over the company LAN/WAN). However I would not do it over the Internet, too many risks. If the connection goes down or extremely slow due to ISP/hardware/denial of service attacks/worms/whatever, there goes your ability to use the program effectively or at all (both Clarionet and WinDev Remote Access). If you have to go over the Internet I'd have all my data local and use replication (see Replication in WD 7.5 Help) to periodically sync with the main server.
Just my 2 Euros.
Art
Publicado em setembro, 29 2004 - 5:45 PM
Hi Art,
Thanks for the response. sSome interesting ideas.
With ClarioNet ONLY screen / windows changes are sent to the Client. No data is transfered. Thus extremely low bandwidth requirement, 5 bytes in some cases is all that is transfered. So the program speed is like it is installed locally.

Ok, I get it, like a web application that is displaying in a browser. You only "see" the data as it's displayed on the screen.
Closest thing to that would be WebDev. But it doesn't look like a fat client.
Art