PC SOFT

GRUPOS DE DISCUSSÃO PROFISSIONAL
WINDEVWEBDEV e WINDEV Mobile

Inicio → WINDEV 2024 → Hyper File Links - Required or Not
Hyper File Links - Required or Not
Iniciado por Al, jan., 26 2005 3:40 AM - 3 respostas
Publicado em janeiro, 26 2005 - 3:40 AM
G'day All
I have always set up my analysis with links between files as a matter or habit, but as I do not use RAD and probably never will and I program my own add, modify and delete checking routines, I am wondering if I need to have integrity links in the analysis at all.
I find the integrity checking handy in the devlopment cycle, but always switch it off on the production environment as I have manually trapped all the integirty issues.
Has anyone developed a large app with no links at all ?
Even with the integrity checker turned off Windev still does some checking, so is there any performance boost by not having any links
Regards
Al
Publicado em janeiro, 26 2005 - 11:01 AM
I have an application (exe about 15MB) with more then 100 tables and don't
use any integrity, i'm controlling this myself and there no problems with it.
I don't use the RAD to.
The application is running with more then 25 users on citrix
My regards
Franckie
G'day All
I have always set up my analysis with links between files as a matter or habit, but as I do not use RAD and probably never will and I program my own add, modify and delete checking routines, I am wondering if I need to have integrity links in the analysis at all.
I find the integrity checking handy in the devlopment cycle, but always switch it off on the production environment as I have manually trapped all the integirty issues.
Has anyone developed a large app with no links at all ?
Even with the integrity checker turned off Windev still does some checking, so is there any performance boost by not having any links
Regards
Al

Graphical Road Dispatch for Autocars
Publicado em janeiro, 26 2005 - 9:12 PM
Al, G'day
As far as I know there is no DBMS that requires any form of "Link" to be present, naturally if you do not have the required keys in each table then performance may be a bit sluggish but physically linking PK's and FK's - No.
The principle is one of protection not performance.
In my experience this comes from the bigger outfits where there is say, a Database Architect plus one or more DBA's who, if they actually met a programmer would certainly never speak to them.
Their job is to protect the data at all costs from, primarily, the team of 50 programmers who work somewhere down the hall.

With WD IMHO the confusion is in the terminology -- "Links"
Quite correct from a RAD perspective as WD uses the "Links" to compose the various window relationships, hence the reason that you can in some instances get more buttons on a screen than you could reasonably shake a stick at.
However when you are building the "Link" the term is incorrect as what you are actually doing is defining a Foreign Key Constraint.
These can I guess be useful in a couple of instances although you still have to trap, interpret and display the errors.
1. If you allow direct input -- (see recent PH post) of course using lists, combos and popups to select values overcomes this.
2. To defeat the deletion of a record that has dependent records in the linked table.
3. To maintain cardinality.
What you cannot do, as far as I could see, is to drop and recreate any constraints by code in WD, not a common requirement and it does I am sure infringe on Codd's umpteenth law but I have sometimes seen it used in reporting data sets where the import of records will generate their own related records.
I have not used Links at all in WD although in fairness I do not have any WD apps in a production environment (still waiting for the big break) but I have a couple that I rewrote for fun which currently run on Btrieve under Magic.
For me no different as all integrity issues had to be programmed for these systems as Btrieve ISAM does not have this capability.
Regards
DerekT
Publicado em janeiro, 27 2005 - 10:20 AM
G'day All
Thanks for the responses. I posted the concept from a performance perspective so I will try and find some time later this month to set up another copy of one of my projects and strip out the links in the analysis and run it through the profiler to see if there are any performance gains and post the results.
Regards
Al