PC SOFT

PROFESSIONAL NEWSGROUPS
WINDEVWEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile

Home → WINDEV 2024 → Windev 7.5 demo - Trying the best solution.....
Windev 7.5 demo - Trying the best solution.....
Started by Gianni Spano, Apr., 15 2004 3:55 AM - 7 replies
Posted on April, 15 2004 - 3:55 AM
Hi to All
Following my previous post in this forum, i'm trying to understand which is the best way to obtain and handle a good result using Windev.
I'm not new in programming and my actual ide (Netcobol for Windows) allow me to create a main menu (an .exe file) where from each menuitem i can call separated application compiled as .DLL file, invoking them to open a form contained in their .DLL file.
I would apply the same way in windev.
Someone, in this forum, suggest me to adopt the "component" mode, instead to use the "Loadwdl" function to load a library (an external application) at runtime.
I will explain better my needed, hoping to find someone that can help me to resolve this little trouble, because the Windev tutorial explain only how to create an .exe file, without show how it can be done using external application.
My decision come from the fact that i need (in some cases) to upgrade a single application, without to recompile the whole project (mainmenu.exe).
I need to see a portion of code that can show me how a .WDL application can be loaded/unloaded from a main menu, leaving the mainmenu as is..
In pratice the main menu is compiled only one time, reading its items from text file, with item name and the program (library) to call.
Trying to use "Exerun (application.exe)" it run fine, but i'm aware that using this approach, a single pc will become hungry using memory.
Trying to use "components", i think that i need, always, to recompile the main menu to include the component modified.
I don't know if my thought are correct, but i'm new using Windev and i'm seriously evaluating this Ide, and this little trouble is the last test i need to complete and verify, before to purchase a regular license.
Someone can help me?
I will much appreciate someone that will send me a little project, explain how i can resolve the issue.
Kind regards.
Gianni Spano
Posted on April, 15 2004 - 7:07 AM
Hello Gianni,
I have an application that operates in a similar fashion to what you describe, but I have not found an alternative to running multiple executables. At this point, the multiple .exe's haven't been a problem for the host machines. I modeled my application switchboard after the example in windev 7.5 called "gestion commerciale". If you have this example, pay attention to the menu initialization, which loads the .wdl files, as well as the menu local procedure which launches the exe's.
If you don't have this example, I would be glad to email you the code to load the .wdl and launch the multiple .exe's.
Regards,
Marc
Hi to All
Following my previous post in this forum, i'm trying to understand which is the best way to obtain and handle a good result using Windev.
I'm not new in programming and my actual ide (Netcobol for Windows) allow me to create a main menu (an .exe file) where from each menuitem i can call separated application compiled as .DLL file, invoking them to open a form contained in their .DLL file.
Someone, in this forum, suggest me to adopt the "component" mode, instead to use the "Loadwdl" function to load a library (an external application) at runtime.
I will explain better my needed, hoping to find someone that can help me to resolve this little trouble, because the Windev tutorial explain only how to create an .exe file, without show how it can be done using external application.
My decision come from the fact that i need (in some cases) to upgrade a single application, without to recompile the whole project (mainmenu.exe).
I need to see a portion of code that can show me how a .WDL application can be loaded/unloaded from a main menu, leaving the mainmenu as is..
In pratice the main menu is compiled only one time, reading its items from text file, with item name and the program (library) to call.
Trying to use "Exerun (application.exe)" it run fine, but i'm aware that using this approach, a single pc will become hungry using memory.
Trying to use "components", i think that i need, always, to recompile the main menu to include the component modified.
I don't know if my thought are correct, but i'm new using Windev and i'm seriously evaluating this Ide, and this little trouble is the last test i need to complete and verify, before to purchase a regular license.
Someone can help me?
I will much appreciate someone that will send me a little project, explain how i can resolve the issue.
Kind regards.
Gianni Spano
Posted on April, 15 2004 - 1:38 PM
Hi Gianni,
My decision come from the fact that i need (in some cases) to upgrade a single
application, without to recompile the whole project (mainmenu.exe).

[...]
I will much appreciate someone that will send me a little project, explain how
i can resolve the issue.

I do not understand exactly what you want to be resolved ...
If the biggest problem is 'how to upgrade/update an application' on a customers
site there are different possibilities.
First, the best way is working with separate exe & wdl, so do not include the
library in the executable. In the main appication (mainmenu) you can load &
unload the needed libraries.
We even go further by using patches (can be a single window or report), which
can be very small and not necessary to recompile and send a complete new exe.
Explained a little in a previous message on this forum some time ago:
http://f16.parsimony.net/forum28986/messages/4181.htm.
The way we work now with updates & patches is changed somewhat, but the idea
is still the same.
Greetings,
Peter

http://www.xs4all.nl/~petervu
Posted on April, 15 2004 - 3:49 PM
Hi Peter
Your suggestion is exactly what i would do.
Build a single exe (the mainmenu) and load/unlod each application as an external library...
My trouble: I don't know how it must be done!!! (remember, i'm playing with windev demo from about 3 days)
I only know how to load an external .WDL file using the "LoadWdl" "UnloadWdl" functions.
I'm using "Loadwdl (DEMO_application_name.wdl)" ...and after??
How i can open the form? Which function i need to use to load the "DEMO_FORM_DEMO_application" window?
Suggestions and tips are very appreciated..
Gianni Spano
Hi Gianni,
My decision come from the fact that i need (in some cases) to upgrade a single
application, without to recompile the whole project (mainmenu.exe).
[...]

I will much appreciate someone that will send me a little project, explain how
i can resolve the issue.
I do not understand exactly what you want to be resolved ...

If the biggest problem is 'how to upgrade/update an application' on a customers
site there are different possibilities.
First, the best way is working with separate exe & wdl, so do not include the
library in the executable. In the main appication (mainmenu) you can load &
unload the needed libraries.
We even go further by using patches (can be a single window or report), which
can be very small and not necessary to recompile and send a complete new exe.
Explained a little in a previous message on this forum some time ago:
http://f16.parsimony.net/forum28986/messages/4181.htm.
The way we work now with updates & patches is changed somewhat, but the idea
is still the same.
Greetings,
Peter
Posted on April, 15 2004 - 9:25 PM
Hi Gianni,
How i can open the form? Which function i need to use to load
the "DEMO_FORM_DEMO_application" window?

After you've loaded the WDL library all the windows(forms), reports ... in
this WDL are available. So a "Open(MyFirstWindowOfThisWdl)" is enough.
No special functions needed.
Greetings,
Peter
Posted on April, 15 2004 - 9:57 PM
Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply, but i think something is missing in my code:
This is the code associated to the menuitem selection:
EXTERN DEMO_VISION_DEMO_ALIQUOTEIVA
hinst is int
hinst = LoadWDL ("H:\My Projects\DEMO_Shipyard\Exe\DEMO_AliquoteIva.WDL")
Open (DEMO_VISION_DEMO_AliquoteIva)
when i run the application, i receive an error message saying:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error in Global Declarations of DEMO_Vision_DEMO_AliquoteIva process, line 20.
HVersion function called.
Aucune analyse n'est ouverte et le fichier n'a pas été décrit.

Technical Information
Project : DEMO_ShipyardMenu
Dump error of module <7.50Avqb DEMO>.
- WL Call:
Processing , line <20>, thread <0>
Function , syntax # <1>
- Level: fatal error (EL_FATAL)
- Error Code: 70018
- WD55 Error Code: 18
- No system error code
- No system error message
- What happened?
Aucune analyse n'est ouverte et le fichier n'a pas été décrit.
- Debug Information:
iehf2012
- Attached Information:
EIT_LOGICALTABLENAME :
- Identifier in .err: 70114
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where i'm in wrong? Hyperfile is missing?
Thanks and regards.
Gianni

Hi Gianni,
How i can open the form? Which function i need to use to load
the "DEMO_FORM_DEMO_application" window?
After you've loaded the WDL library all the windows(forms), reports ... in

this WDL are available. So a "Open(MyFirstWindowOfThisWdl)" is enough.
No special functions needed.
Greetings,
Peter
Posted on April, 15 2004 - 10:12 PM
Hi Marc
I sent to you an email to your address.
Regards
Gianni

Hello Gianni,
I have an application that operates in a similar fashion to what you describe, but I have not found an alternative to running multiple executables. At this point, the multiple .exe's haven't been a problem for the host machines. I modeled my application switchboard after the example in windev 7.5 called "gestion commerciale". If you have this example, pay attention to the menu initialization, which loads the .wdl files, as well as the menu local procedure which launches the exe's.
If you don't have this example, I would be glad to email you the code to load the .wdl and launch the multiple .exe's.
Regards,
Marc
Hi to All
Someone can help me?
Kind regards.
Gianni Spano
Posted on April, 15 2004 - 11:39 PM
Hi Gianni,
Error in Global Declarations of DEMO_Vision_DEMO_AliquoteIva process, line
20. HVersion function called. Aucune analyse n'est ouverte et le fichier n'a
pas été décrit.

That is another problem ... and i don't know the demo.
Does the project have an analysis (file description) & files ...
(your app doesnt revognize the file you want to know the version of ...)
Peter