PC SOFT

PROFESSIONAL NEWSGROUPS
WINDEVWEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile

Home → WINDEV 2024 → Speed Hyperfile
Speed Hyperfile
Started by parianos, Jun., 23 2004 3:37 PM - 5 replies
Posted on June, 23 2004 - 3:37 PM
Hi,
I wrote an application using aprox 150 files and 400 win and 300 repports using windev 5.5.
In real life everyhing works fine but from the time that more users using the same data the speed of accessing data gets redused. We just speaking for 3 users.
We are using win 2003 as server and win xp as clients. the application is stored local to each station and the data is stored on the server.
Do I forget anything ?
Regds
Parianos Henri
Posted on June, 23 2004 - 3:45 PM
Dear Henri,
Check if you have one or more timers running. Check then trough the task manager from the pc were the application is run if the CPU speed goes upto 100%. If so try to compile the program without the timers and check again. If the cpu speed is reduced to normal proportions, the timers are the problem. Then try to use an API timer to do the work.
Kind regards
Gerard

Our homebase
Posted on June, 23 2004 - 3:53 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the fast answer.
Yes I use timers but the cpu speeds seems ok <> 100%, but even if it was this true then the problem had to be arived even when I was working with just one user
so what do the timers have to do with more users on different workstations ???
Regds
Henri
Dear Henri,
Check if you have one or more timers running. Check then trough the task manager from the pc were the application is run if the CPU speed goes upto 100%. If so try to compile the program without the timers and check again. If the cpu speed is reduced to normal proportions, the timers are the problem. Then try to use an API timer to do the work.
Kind regards
Gerard
Posted on June, 23 2004 - 4:15 PM
G'day Parianos
I would start at the server because the problem you describe appears to be load dependant. Do you have scsi drives, is there plenty of empty space on the drives, are the workstations running 100mb cards, switches instead of hubs etc
Is the server fully loaded, is it handling other tasks, is the server virus protection getting in the way. Sometimes a gb link from the server to the hub/switch will ease bottlenecks.
With that small a number of users it may be a solution to put more memory in the server and run the workstations under terminal services.
Regards
Al
Posted on June, 23 2004 - 5:00 PM
I fully agree why does the system slows down when more users log in. Henri I do not know but I do know this is the case. I have a customer in Brussel. When 1 is logged in no problem. Two things go slower etc. etc. When 10 people logged in the system completly halted.
Again it is strange behaviour but it was experienced by us.
Hope it helps.
By the way what do you mean with noyt completely 100%. System load should not be more then a couple of percent.
Kind regards
Gerard

Our homebase
Posted on June, 23 2004 - 7:01 PM
Hi,
I wrote an application using aprox 150 files and 400 win and 300
repports using windev 5.5.
In real life everyhing works fine but from the time that more users using the
same data the speed of accessing data gets redused. We just speaking for 3
users.

[...]
Have a look at the 'Opportunistic locking' on Windows servers (from NT on).
Check google and also on the site of our friends in Montpellier there is
a FAQ about it.
Regards,
Peter