PROFESSIONAL NEWSGROUPS
WINDEVWEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile

Home → WINDEV 2024 → Different Reports and Exe Versions
Different Reports and Exe Versions
Started by stefan.kern, Dec., 12 2017 8:14 AM - 6 replies
Posted on December, 12 2017 - 8:14 AM
Hi Forum,

I have one question:
I have a application developped in WD 20. In this app I implemented my own report management.
So the customers have about 50 reports created with R&Q, which are stored in a table.
At runtime I extract the needed report into a temp file and print it from there.
I have some laptop users, who can also access to individual reports stored in the central database on a server.

Now I plan to update the program to V22.
But I am not sure that I can update the laptop users at the same time.
What will happen if:
A report is altered in R&Q 22 and run by a WD20 App afterwards.
Will there be any problems?

May be someone has some experience here.

Best Regards

Stefan.
Posted on December, 12 2017 - 12:30 PM
Hi Stefan,

I haven't tried that specific case, but in my experience, windev does NOT like to play with a new version (except for HFSQL, which is made for that)...

One way to be sure that this kind of thing does not create a problem would be to put the v22 report in a different directory, and to change the v22 exe to go look in THAT directory...

I'm saying that because it would be very difficult to test, as some report MAY work while other may crash.

Best regards
Posted on December, 12 2017 - 2:46 PM
Hi,

I think the reports are only backward compatible.
So a report created in R&Q 20 will operate in a WD22 app. But a report created in R&Q 22 will not operate in a WD20 app.

Kind regards,

Joris.
Posted on December, 13 2017 - 12:51 AM
f
stefan.kern

Hi Forum,

I have one question:

I have a application developped in WD 20. In this app I implemented my own report management.

So the customers have about 50 reports created with R&Q, which are stored in a table.

At runtime I extract the needed report into a temp file and print it from there.

I have some laptop users, who can also access to individual reports stored in the central database on a server.

Now I plan to update the program to V22.

But I am not sure that I can update the laptop users at the same time.

What will happen if:

A report is altered in R&Q 22 and run by a WD20 App afterwards.

Will there be any problems?

May be someone has some experience here.

Best Regards

Stefan.

Hi Fabrice + Joris,

thanks for info .....

Here I have a problem, as I store the reports in a database.
Every user (whith specific user rights) can alter a report and srore it again in the database, and all other users can use it.

I do not use the R&Q shared folders.

Maybe I need to restrict the acess to alter the reports ....
Posted on December, 13 2017 - 1:38 PM
Hi Stefan,

it is AS EASY to have 2 series of report in the DB, and to have the new exe (in v22) access another series of report than to have 2 directories and have the new exe access that directory. It should be in both case just a few lines of code to change.

Best regards
Posted on April, 29 2021 - 7:09 PM
Hi Steffan,

Can you give me an example how you stored the report on the database?

Thank you

Kind regards,
António
Posted on April, 29 2021 - 10:11 PM
reports are binary files, so there is only one way to store them in a DB, in BLOB/Binary memo