PC SOFT

PROFESSIONAL NEWSGROUPS
WINDEVWEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile

Home → WINDEV 2024 → "Final" Version - without tutorials?
"Final" Version - without tutorials?
Started by Volker Gericke, Dec., 08 2023 5:15 PM - 8 replies
Posted on December, 08 2023 - 5:15 PM
Hi,

I am surprised. The so-called "final" Version of Windev 2024 is launched but there are no tutorials. How can someone learn Windev in a few days without any documentation?

The concepts book is ridiculous and the language functions do not explain anything about parameters.

I thought I would have some benefits with Windev compared to Clarion but now I think that I lost 1.300 EUR for absolutely nothing (except three cheap pencils, a t-shirt, a lanyard and a wallet which all went to the trashcan immediately after opening the carton).

Where are the tutorials???

Volker
Registered member
55 messages
Popularité : +2 (2 votes)
Posted on December, 11 2023 - 11:24 AM
Hi Volker,
I haven't ordered the 2024 version yet, but in version 28 you can find the tutorials and examples on the Home screen

Hope this helps
Andrea
Registered member
80 messages
Posted on December, 11 2023 - 4:29 PM
Hi Volker

Yes it is a bit strange that the downloaded version does not have the link to the tutorials in it. That might be an oversight.

https://help.windev.com/en-US/ The tutorials ara available on the internet at the URL I posted.

I do not think you have wasted your money. At least WinDev does actually bring new versions out with real new features for both the Developers and the End users.

Seeing as you brought up the subject, I wonder what you spend on Clarion and 3prd party templates compared to what you spend on WinDev.

Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses and I use both.

Happy programming

--
Ben Dell
Riebens Computers Pty Ltd
Southern Africa PcSoft Distributor
www.windevsa.co.za
PcSoft Sales, Support and Training
Registered member
80 messages
Posted on December, 11 2023 - 4:36 PM
It is interesting to see the tutorials are not in the downloaded version ,but available online at https://help.windev.com/en-US/

At least PcSoft releases products with real developer and end user functional updates on each major release.

Speaking of Clarion, and since you brought up the pricing, - I wonder if you would also post what you spent on Clarion and 3-rd party tools to be able to do just some of the stuff WinDev allows you out of the box.

I also use both PcSoft (14 years) and Softvelocity ( 36 years - legacy products) tools every day and each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

Happy programming

--
Ben Dell
www.windevsa.co.za
Posted on December, 14 2023 - 6:18 PM
Volkier:

Apparently this has been the issue for years and years. It is important to remember that PC SOFT is a French company so they primarily focus on getting their releases and tutorials out in the French language first.

Sadly, I believe this practice has kept WinDev from being better adopted in the US and other English speaking countries.

Hopefully PC SOFT will soon make the Tutorial projects something that could be imported into the licensed version. No telling though.

I too am trying to learn WinDev 2024 where the Tutorial is not currently available. I'm trying to use the version 27 tutorials in version 2024 but it's pretty challenging :)
Registered member
80 messages
Posted on December, 22 2023 - 9:34 PM
If you look on the right sight of the page where the tutorials are, then you will see the "Download" button to download the tutorials.

--
Ben Dell
www.windevsa.co.za
Registered member
2 messages
Posted on April, 18 2024 - 9:01 AM
Hi pcsoft developers, check it out my tutorials and subscribe
so i will make more tutorials and more complex solutions.

Thanks, have good time with pc soft development!!!!
Posted on April, 20 2024 - 3:10 PM
Hi all,

What annoyed me in December was not that the tutorial was missing at that time, but that PCSoft labeled the version as "final" even though the tutorials were still missing. This meant that I didn't have any access to this development system at the beginning.

Of course, I eventually decided to download the previous version (i.e. WinDev 28) to get started, but that was another 10GB download.

I am now quite happy with WinDev. Of course, as a Clarion user since 1990, I still find a few things difficult. For example, the database handling in Clarion is much more intuitive (for me, being used to it), but the visual possibilities in WinDev are in a completely different league. For example, it is still not possible in Clarion to display images from a database (i.e. thumbnails) in a list box.

It's true: For the cost of Clarion including all extensions, I can buy the complete PCSoft package (WinDev, WebDev, WinDev mobile). And on top of that, a pretty good PC.

So I probably won't go along with the update to Clarion 12 expected for the end of the year, but will continue to invest in WinDev instead.

Nevertheless, even though PCSoft is a French company (and I am well aware of the French dislike of Great Britain), the English language should not be neglected to such an extent. As a German with a relatively good knowledge of English, I am disappointed by the complete lack of English-language literature on Windev. The only resources are the online help and this forum. All in all, a bit little.
Registered member
80 messages
Posted on April, 20 2024 - 8:05 PM
You can also view the tutorials visually via video tutorials.

https://wxtraining.co.za/course-list/

We are busy updating them to Version 2024 but will most likely only release 2024 version during second 1/2 of 2024.
--
Ben Dell
www.windevsa.co.za
Message modified, April, 20 2024 - 8:16 PM