PC SOFT

FOROS PROFESIONALES
WINDEVWEBDEV y WINDEV Mobile

Inicio → WEBDEV 2024 → WebDev Users Experience
WebDev Users Experience
Iniciado por Bastiaan, 23,jul. 2013 20:58 - 2 respuestas
Publicado el 23,julio 2013 - 20:58
Hi I am analising WebDev as future tool to develop Web aplications

I would know opinions about the daiy use of this product from developers who use the English version of the product.

Does the product really works like announced (is the IDE stable and reliable)

Is the response time of the applications created with WebDev fast

Is it really easy to install the application server and HiperFileSQL in a VPS ou Cloud environment

How easy is to get the answers about how to do things

Is the documentation in English that comes wth the product really enought to start creating real life applications

What are the worst points of this product.

What are the best poinst of this product

Thank in advance

Bastiaan
Publicado el 08,septiembre 2013 - 16:35
Hi,

It might be a bit late, but maybe you haven't abondenedd hope to see an answer.

Allthough I use WebDev only since may this year, testing purposes, I can share some experiences. As we had the same questions we might be able to help you.

IDE works fine and is reasonable stable, more than other IDE's of other development tools we have tried. Yes, it has its 'quirks' with sometimes 'funny' results, but once you understand how things work ... we haven't found another development tool that does that much for a developer.

Response times depends mostly of the server you use. Read about that in http://www.thenextage.com/wordpress/2012/11/.
Remark: that (wonderfull) writer uses WinDev 17, lacking some of the functions that are added in 18.

There you can also read about what to do, step by step, to install the application server, even (if you look around) about how to create a server on Rackspace. It might seem to be a lot to do, but ever read what to do to install a fully function IIS?

In another article the writer found out when using an earlier version of Apache Server it all went smoother and easier. The fact you can use the Linux version of the application server can save you a lot of money.

How easy is it to get the information how to do things? Well, if you start like the kids has to do ... working yourself through the examples ... being a brave student, then you can start like a rocket. WebDev is too rich, has too many features, to be able to 'just find out' while programming. You will find yourself more busy with finding what option to use than with coding.

The printed documentation is a good start, but it are the supplied examples that do the teaching (our experience).

Worst points of WebDev?
1) Too rich, too many options, too many features ... a developer feels himself like a kid in a candystore ... will I choose this or will I choose that?
2) After having 'compiled' your program it might be usefull (sometimes necessary) to check some .js-files. They might compile fine (that is, WebDev does not complain) while there are errors. It shows when testing, not during compiling. We had it twice.
3) The fact your project compiles fine and even run nicely in the emulator is no absolute guarantee it works fine. So, you better do an early real-life-check before depending too much on a direction you choose.
4) Here and there you might see some French words. If you see the enormous amount of supplied documentation, to be translated, it is understandable, but it is kind of strange to see in one product the Englisch translation while in another product (we use the three products) it still is in French.

Best points?
1) The ease. It is more a matter of choosing the right stuff than having to create it. At so many places WebDev offers you several choices and explain what the consequences are ... and when/where you can change your choice.
2) Database is free. Report-generator is free ...

General advice, one we got from another developer, with years of experience. Use what WebDev offers you. Dont' think to 'outsmart' WebDev to work around too deep/too complex as then you will lose the assistance of the IDE. It might work but consider to spent more time finding the right feature to do it then producing lots of code.

Hope this helps you a bit, be it a bit late.

Kind regards.
Publicado el 25,octubre 2013 - 23:47
Rudolp

Thank for your attention.

It was gook to know about Your experience with WebDev.

Even before Your reply I had just decided to use Webdev.

And yes it is not perfect, but until now it is working, I just started to create a whole dinamyc web site,
I don't have installed in an production environment, but at least in the development environment, the work is flowing.

What should really be a plus, if all the forums in French, were also available in English, the French comunity is many times greater than the English comunity, so we lost their experience.

Let us work to improve the English forum....

Again thank for Your explanation.

Best Regards
Bastiaan Wilderom