PC SOFT

PROFESSIONAL NEWSGROUPS
WINDEVWEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile

Home → WINDEV 2024 → Just curious
Just curious
Started by Don, Feb., 24 2004 7:58 PM - 9 replies
Posted on February, 24 2004 - 7:58 PM
According to the Windev press report;
"The first thing you'll notice upon receiving the box is just how big and heavy the box is"
When I received my WD7.5 upgrade, my package was not that big & heavy.
Is there a package size & weight difference between FR & US version?
I am asking this rather silly question because if/when we order WD8US, we US version customers must receive same package other than language difference.
What do you think?
Don
Posted on February, 24 2004 - 8:27 PM
"The first thing you'll notice upon receiving the box is just how big and heavy the box is"
I am asking this rather silly question because if/when we order WD8US, we US version customers must receive same package other than language difference.
What do you think?
Don

Everything is relative. When I got my upgrade from Clarion, it was a CD. When I got Visual Studio it was maybe a 1 lb. box (.5 kg). When I got my WD7.5, it was a 10 lb. box (5kg?). I wouldn't want to have dropped it on my toes. The difference is the printed manuals.
Art
Posted on February, 24 2004 - 9:06 PM
Hello Don,
the difference between US and FR version is one manual (Guide d'auto-formation)
Raimund
What do you think?
Don
Posted on February, 25 2004 - 12:32 AM
Thank you Raimund & Art,
When I compared the WD7.5 with WD5.5 manuals, it was about the half of WD5.5.
(and 1/3 compare to Clarion5).
I will try to think that WD7.5 is so advanced and easy to use so we do not need the volume of manuals the other tools must have.
Thanks again,
Don
Posted on February, 25 2004 - 6:32 AM
Thank you Raimund & Art,

True. And you had to special order and pay extra to get them too. Not sure why, as mostly they just copied the online help verbatim. Other than having them around to read in the bathroom (where the noxious fumes would have destroyed a computer), I found the searchable online help easier to deal with.
I will try to think that WD7.5 is so advanced and easy to use so we do not need the volume of manuals the other tools must have.
Thanks again,
Don

You mean like Visual Studio .NET, which comes with maybe a Getting Started manual?
Unlike other tools, where the volume of manuals and the online help are pretty much the same, WD manuals are a point to start from. The true power is located in the help (.chm) files. Sometimes you have to dig through them to find that power. A simple search sometimes does not help, as the "key words" you and I would use to look up something are not necessarily the ones PCS used (difference in mind sets). The way I discovered what WD was capable of was to sit on an airplane on a 4 hour flight between Nashville and Phoenix twice a week for 6 months and read the entire wdlang.chm files, top to bottom. Four times, A to Z.
Let me share part of an email I sent last month to a brand new WinDev user (he got WinDev from me on a competitive upgrade from Clarion at the first of the year - you can find his name in the Clarion newsgroups as late as Thanksgiving of last year).
The way I learned most of WD's functionality was sit down with the Help
file and just start browsing. The more I read, the more 'wow, it can do
that?!' I thought. The help file is like a gold mine, it sometimes
takes some digging to find the nicer nuggets of information. But the
time spent is worth the reward.

Art

His reply:
Thanks Art -
All in all, I can see WinDev is a far better product.
The help documentation is also superior.
I'll need to do alot more experimenting before
asking further questions.

That person (a newby) is now giving advice on this Forum. A little work pays off in increased knowledge. Some people do not recognize that. They just do the tutorial (if that), shake their head and they go away disallusioned thinking that's all there is, never looking under the covers for more.
Art Bonds

http://www.windevus.com
Posted on February, 25 2004 - 11:34 AM
Raimund wrote:
"the difference between US and FR version [of WD8] is one manual (Guide d'auto-formation)"
What is this manual? Sounds a little bit like a manual for the template language for the model files? And it is not delivered with the US version?
Best regards
Ola Pedersen

Pienoismalli magazine
Posted on February, 25 2004 - 12:31 PM
Hello Don,
the WinDev Help System is much better than the manual. I did look only into the Turtorial and some time into the manual if I want to some basics.
Sure, Clarion 5.5 has 20 cm maunals, but the info inside is very less structured. It's a pain to read it. And the Clarion 5.5 help system is the poorest they have ever produced. Can't say anything about Clarion 6 help system, but the manuals I read (PDF file downloaded from their web site) has a lot of 10%, 20% - 50% pages (I mean % empty pages). That's a way to produce big manauls.
Raimund
Thank you Raimund & Art,
Thanks again,
Don

http://www.invitec.com
Posted on February, 25 2004 - 12:41 PM
Hello Ola,
it's my fault. The Guide d'Autoformation is nearly indentical with English Tutorial.
WinDev 8 contains the following manual (French ofd course):
Programmation, 700 pages
Auto Formation, 440 pages
Etats & Requetes, 215 pages
I too have the wish that PC SOFT would deliver some info about model file
Raimund
What is this manual? Sounds a little bit like a manual for the template language for the model files? And it is not delivered with the US version?
Best regards
Ola Pedersen

http://www.invitec.com
Posted on February, 25 2004 - 3:33 PM
Hi Don,
a WD7.5 package contains two printed manuals, a Tutorial (a step by step WinDev training) and a 'programming' Manual which contains a very good presentation of the wide spread topics pertaining to WinDev programming.
The difference to the WinDev 5.5 manuals is, that you will find a detailed description with examples to each W-language command while the WD 7.5 manual just gives you a listing of the available commands but not the description. The more or less detailed descriptions of the commands can be found in the Help-system which is delivered on CD with WD 7.5
Regards,
Guenter
What do you think?
Don
Posted on February, 25 2004 - 9:56 PM
I still use the 5.5 manuals for the w language and the 5.5 help for examples
bert
>Hi Don,
snip
The differenceill find a detailed description with examples to each W-language command while the WD 7.5 manual just gives you a listing of the available commands but not the description. The more or less detailed descriptions of the commands can be found in the Help-system which is delivered on CD with WD 7.5
Regards,
Guenter