PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Label Makers
Label Makers
Débuté par Art Bonds, 17 mar. 2004 06:32 - 5 réponses
Posté le 17 mars 2004 - 06:32
Writing an application that stores customer information. We would like to print the name and address on a mailing label. We need the ability to print one or a batch of labels.
Anyone have experience in this field? Also looking for information on printing UPS/FED EX/other shipping labels.
Thanks in advance,
Art
Posté le 17 mars 2004 - 11:04
Hi Art,
it depends, it depends ..
On the printer.
a) You are using sheets of labels together with your standard laser or ink-jet printer. In this case a simple 'report' will do. As an example look at the French example 'Gestion Commerciale'. Within the project 'WD8 Client' you'll find a report 'EtiquetteClient'. That's it. If it's going to be more sophisticated, you have to use iPrint(..) and associated printing commands. Full control of everything.
b) You are using a label printer (thermo-direct or thermo-transfer). You'd have to choose between printing through the windows driver or directly to the serial/parallel port. Labels on label printers are on rolls and there is only one label to be printed. Problems could arise with bad interface handling of the driver (most drivers for most label printers are bad in this respect) or print speed, because printer drivers convert the printed label to a .pcx image first and transfer that to the printer. Escape frome speed problems and bad interface handling by printing directly to the serial/parallel port. Variousways to circumvent the different problems arising here depend on the make of the printer, the type of interface etc.
Best regards,
Guenter

Writing an application that stores customer information. We would like to print the name and address on a mailing label. We need the ability to print one or a batch of labels.
Anyone have experience in this field? Also looking for information on printing UPS/FED EX/other shipping labels.
Thanks in advance,
Art
Posté le 17 mars 2004 - 13:56
Thanks in advance,
Art

hi Art,
We are printing luggage labels and tickets.
For both we use direct serial printing using the 'i' command family and end up with a basic-like set of instructions on what and where to print - like C2.11 in DOS.
It works well, but you have to watch printer spec and the labels as Guenter saya. We find label rools with black lines to mark start/end f label works best, so your printer must be able to read them.
Gill
Posté le 17 mars 2004 - 23:02
Guenter, Gill, Bert, thanks for the advice. Due to the low volume of use I was looking at the Dymo 330 for the printer. Anybody have experience with this printer?
Art
Posté le 18 mars 2004 - 07:40
Guenter, Gill, Bert, thanks for the advice. Due to the low volume of use I was looking at the Dymo 330 for the printer. Anybody have experience with this printer?
Art

Hi Art,
We use the Dymo Turbo with good success as it will print both sticky labels and tickets. Check the driver on the other one.
Gill
Posté le 18 mars 2004 - 20:13
Hi Art,
We use the Dymo Turbo with good success as it will print both sticky labels and tickets. Check the driver on the other one.
Gill

Thanks Gill, good to hear. I guess I need to find out if the 330 uses the same driver as the Turbo. If so, great, but if not, I may buy the turbo just because I know it works and avoid any possible problems.
Art