PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Implementing GPS Application using Windev
Implementing GPS Application using Windev
Débuté par mikoyskie, 04 déc. 2007 20:28 - 2 réponses
Posté le 04 décembre 2007 - 20:28
Hi Windev Coders,

Can anyone share his knowledge on how to develop or implement a GPS application by using Windev XI?

1. What are the basic hardware requirements for developing GPS application

2. Windev related commands to be used for developing such application

Our Objective is to develop an application which we could track the exact location of the vehicle.

can anyone here help me please.

best regards

mikz
Posté le 05 décembre 2007 - 10:29
Hi,

Haven't done this myself, but here's the route I would investigate...

There is a standard TOMTOM component available for WinDev Mobile to talk with a TOMTOM navigation system available on a PDA. Probably it is a WD written interface around the TOMTOM API's. If your mobile devices are equiped with GPRS as well, you can easily write a routine to provide the location information (returned from the TOMTOM system) at regular intervals (e.g. 5 minutes) to your Windev based backoffice system (Socket functions).

Just my 2 cents,

Peter

>Hi Windev Coders,

Can anyone share his knowledge on how to develop or implement a GPS application by using Windev XI?

>1. What are the basic hardware requirements for developing GPS application

>Our Objective is to develop an application which we could track the exact location of the vehicle.

>best regards

mikz
Posté le 05 décembre 2007 - 11:45
Hi...

Not a first hand experience either, because I didn't have the chance toplay with that part yet, but here is what I know

The Tomtom component available in WinDev was for Tomtom 5... It doesn't seen to work with the current version 6

All GPS inside mobile devices that I've seen or heard of seems to work on serial ports... So either use their own SDK or directly read/write on serial port using sread swrite

A few years back, I did a preliminary search on the hardware side, and apart from the big players like tomtom and garmin, there are also some small ones selling hardware and sdks...

IMHO, the first thing to do would be to decide on the hardware:

- mobile device with windev mobile and GPS incorporated

- external gps device connected to mobile device

- external GPS device connected to laptop (and therefore WinDev)

Of course, one important point to make the choice would be the availability of a valid SDK to connect to...

After that, it's just a question of following the SDK documentation :-)

Best regards

Fabrice Harari

>Hi,

Haven't done this myself, but here's the route I would investigate...

>There is a standard TOMTOM component available for WinDev Mobile to talk with a TOMTOM navigation system available on a PDA. Probably it is a WD written interface around the TOMTOM API's. If your mobile devices are equiped with GPRS as well, you can easily write a routine to provide the location information (returned from the TOMTOM system) at regular intervals (e.g. 5 minutes) to your Windev based backoffice system (Socket functions).

Just my 2 cents,

>Peter

>>Hi Windev Coders,

>>1. What are the basic hardware requirements for developing GPS application

>>Our Objective is to develop an application which we could track the exact location of the vehicle.

>>best regards

mikz