PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → MS SQL 2005 Express
MS SQL 2005 Express
Débuté par Malcolm James, 16 fév. 2008 20:39 - 6 réponses
Posté le 16 février 2008 - 20:39
Just got WD11, and want to run some tests, but am having difficulty with MS SQL 2005 Express. Anyone had any experience with this product?

I've used MS SQL in the past (with VB6 & VFP & SQL2000), but this beast seems to not want to allow me to access it.

I've done a default install, with Windows Authentication, and I can't seem to get any access to it outside of the MS SQL Server Management Studio Express.

Cannot even create a DSN with Administration Tools.Data Sources (ODBC) - no server is listed. Neither can I create a connection from VFP DataBrowser

I've attached the AdventureWorksLT sample database so there should be something there but all I get is blank...

Any pointers appreciated.

TIA

Malc
Posté le 17 février 2008 - 00:14
Hi:

SQL Server 2005 Express installation, defaults to a named instance, uninstall it and re-install it again, but this time select the default instance.

Andres Sanchez

Monterrey Mexico

>Just got WD11, and want to run some tests, but am having difficulty with MS SQL 2005 Express. Anyone had any experience with this product?

I've used MS SQL in the past (with VB6 & VFP & SQL2000), but this beast seems to not want to allow me to access it.

>I've done a default install, with Windows Authentication, and I can't seem to get any access to it outside of the MS SQL Server Management Studio Express.

Cannot even create a DSN with Administration Tools.Data Sources (ODBC) - no server is listed. Neither can I create a connection from VFP DataBrowser

>I've attached the AdventureWorksLT sample database so there should be something there but all I get is blank...

>TIA

Malc
Posté le 17 février 2008 - 00:15
I use Express for my smaller apps using OLE DB, and never had a problem. They key is to make sure your instance is named properly, eg. the server instance should be something like MACHINE\SQLEXPRESS

Can you access SQL using the management studio? The instance name and authentication model should show there. If you can access via SQL management studio, rightclick on the db instance on the left pane, and select properties. Check the following:-

1. Security -> Server Authentication should be set as "SQL Server and windows authentication mode"

2. Connections -> "Allow remote connections to this server" must be ticked (I suspect this might be your problem)

>Just got WD11, and want to run some tests, but am having difficulty with MS SQL 2005 Express. Anyone had any experience with this product?

>I've done a default install, with Windows Authentication, and I can't seem to get any access to it outside of the MS SQL Server Management Studio Express.

>I've attached the AdventureWorksLT sample database so there should be something there but all I get is blank...

>TIA

Malc
Posté le 18 février 2008 - 12:31
Hi Andres

Thanks. Got it running at home ok, so will reinstall SQL on my office machine and try again!

Cheers

Malc
Posté le 18 février 2008 - 12:32
Hi Ben

>1. Security -> Server Authentication should be set as "SQL Server and windows authentication mode"

2. Connections -> "Allow remote connections to this server" must be ticked (I suspect this might be your problem)

Done an install on my home machine and with the above settings plus Firewall disabled, have finally got a connection, even with WinDev.

Am going to reinstall on my office pc and start afresh

Cheers

Malc
Posté le 19 février 2008 - 10:10
Malc,

I have had many problems with express in that it doesnt appear in list boxes when trying to use it in other solutions such as Ironspeed / skelta etc.

Can I suggest you create a user in your database which has the same name as your windows login etc and give it full privalges etc.

Then connect without windows authentication and use the PC name as the domain name.. seemed to work for me in most instances.

Hope this helps
Posté le 21 février 2008 - 18:11
Hi Gordon

>I have had many problems with express in that it doesnt appear in list boxes when trying to use it in other solutions such as Ironspeed / skelta etc.

Can I suggest you create a user in your database which has the same name as your windows login etc and give it full privalges etc.

>Then connect without windows authentication and use the PC name as the domain name.. seemed to work for me in most instances.

Thanks, I figured that out a little before I read your message.

It's a pity WD doesn't handle this better as the rest of the package is so full featured. They really need to prioritize some better integration to MS SQL 2005/2008

Cheers

Malc