PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → To Ricardo F. Oliveira  (PostgreSQL 8)
To Ricardo F. Oliveira (PostgreSQL 8)
Débuté par BLS, 07 oct. 2004 22:02 - 2 réponses
Posté le 07 octobre 2004 - 22:02
Hi Ricardo,
I have problems to answere because of your spam filter or what the heck.
PostgreSQL 8
I am just a PostgreSQL beginner.
This is normal because I actually only use windows and the first usable release on Windows is *PostgreSQL 8.0 *which is also brandnew!*
*Now available in beta 2 Release 3
Let me tell you what I know *I)* and what I want to do with PostgreSQL. *II)*
*I*
*1)* The installation :
Is easy, because since a few weeks a_ windows msi installer_ is available.
This means to you : No need to compile tons of c/c++ code
You need a NTFS Filesystem.
You should be logged in as normal user NOT AS ADMIN (curious)
You should install PostgreSQL 9 as *NT SERVICE (recommned)*
*2*) Administration
Is also quit easy because the installer installs pgAdmin III which is (at least) very comfortable.
*3*) Programming
All you need is the libpg.DLL (~128 kb). Thanks god, this dll is written in C not in C++, so Windev can use libpg simply by using the CallDll32() Function.
Thanks to the good documentation programming the API is not a big thing. Basic C knowledge should help. In case that you need help, contact me.
Pretty cool is fact that PostgreSQL allows us (by using the libpg.DLL) to : CREATE DATABASE, CREATE TABLE, CREATE USER CREATE SCHMEMA etc.
*II*
I'll create a Visual Database-Designer ( similar to the thing we have in Windev) for PostgreSQL 8.
hth Björn
Posté le 08 octobre 2004 - 15:14
Very good news. I´m too interested in use POSTGRESQL/windows. I`ll see more informations about use with WD8.0
Tks a lot
Marco
Posté le 09 octobre 2004 - 00:08
Hi Marco,
I'll forward ASAP a few lines of code. (connect/query/update/cancel connection) by email. If you reflect on the announced visual tool : have a look at the Suneido discussion forum)
In fact PostgeSQL has some difference to the upcoming Windev C/S (afaik). (1) Server supports multiple databases, (Clusters) the schema property is also quit unknown to plain vanilla db-developers like me, not to talk about nested transactions. "I think the best translation to schemas is namespace "
(a lot of datatypes which are quit usefull in GIS apps. are also available. (point/Line etc.)

The PG hirachy goes : Server/Database/Schema/table
and within the table-level: views/casts and so on.
ergo: The xxx4WD projects are nice ( and well designed) but if you need
all from pg-engine you have to write your own wrapper around the pg c-api.dll.
keep in mind; to write a WD function wrapper around the c-api is not a big thing, but writing an visual interface is not such a "snap" and for sure not done within one or two weeks. So don't expect too much in the next time.
"btw :The visual pg designer project has actually no priority"
björn
Very good news. I´m too interested in use POSTGRESQL/windows. I`ll see more informations about use with WD8.0
Tks a lot
Marco