PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Copying an application
Copying an application
Débuté par Chris L, 29 nov. 2004 03:26 - 7 réponses
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 03:26
It's probably a simple problem -- it doesn't seem to have bothered anyone else -- but it's bothering me at the moment.
I have an application developed in the standard way with all the elements in its own project directory/folder.
I want to leave this application as it is, to be modified further at future dates. But I'd also like to use this application as the basis for another similar but different application. (I want to use much the same analysis but with some modifications and some of the same windows and functions.) Even though there are similarities between these two applications, I want to be able to work on each independently so I want to have two completely separate applications just as though they'd each been developed from scratch.
What's the best, simplest, cleanest way of doing this?
I've tried just copying the project directory/folder with a new name but then I find that much of the new application refers back to the original application. I've also tried using "Save as..." from the File menu and this time I find that the data refers back to data in the original folder. I've also tried copying the analysis and windows and tried to build the project up that way but that hasn't been terribly successful.
One time I thought I'd managed to achieve the task but then I went back to my original application to find that it now had some links to the new application!
Whichever way I try, I seem to end up with one application pointing to windows, folders, analyses, data, et al in the other application.
It strikes me that there must be a clean efficient way of doing this. I'm probably missing something obvious but at the risk of seeming like a complete fool, I'd appreciate any help.
Cheers
Chris L
Melbourne, Oz
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 09:51
Hello Chris,
use WDVersion.
HTH
Raimund
It's probably a simple problem -- it doesn't seem to have bothered anyone else -- but it's bothering me at the moment.
I have an application developed in the standard way with all the elements in its own project directory/folder.
I want to leave this application as it is, to be modified further at future dates. But I'd also like to use this application as the basis for another similar but different application. (I want to use much the same analysis but with some modifications and some of the same windows and functions.) Even though there are similarities between these two applications, I want to be able to work on each independently so I want to have two completely separate applications just as though they'd each been developed from scratch.
I've tried just copying the project directory/folder with a new name but then I find that much of the new application refers back to the original application. I've also tried using "Save as..." from the File menu and this time I find that the data refers back to data in the original folder. I've also tried copying the analysis and windows and tried to build the project up that way but that hasn't been terribly successful.
One time I thought I'd managed to achieve the task but then I went back to my original application to find that it now had some links to the new application!
Whichever way I try, I seem to end up with one application pointing to windows, folders, analyses, data, et al in the other application.
It strikes me that there must be a clean efficient way of doing this. I'm probably missing something obvious but at the risk of seeming like a complete fool, I'd appreciate any help.
Cheers
Chris L
Melbourne, Oz

http://www.invitec.com
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 10:52
Hi Chris,
The export/Import facilities in the file menu will help you a lot.
All dependencies are taken along.
Cheers,
P
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 11:55
Hi,

Copy the whole project folder with windows explore.
Rename the original folder so it cannot be found
Open the project and "save as" with a new name.
Open the analysis and "save as" with a new name.
Compile, test
Give back the original folder its name.

Bye
http://wdgotcha.atspace.com
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 14:25
Hello Chris,
Try using the menu-item tools, save and restore it in another map.
Regards Frans.
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 14:53
Raimund
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm after a new application, not just a new version. I use versioning quite a bit, particularly when I'm trying out new things, but versioning does not give you a totally separate application.
Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to respond.
Chris

Hello Chris,
use WDVersion.
HTH
Raimund
Cheers
Chris L
Melbourne, Oz
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 15:08
Hi Chris,
The export/Import facilities in the file menu will help you a lot.
All dependencies are taken along.
Cheers,
P

Thanks, Peter.
I've just given this a go, exporting everything possible to a new directory then creating a new application and importing everything. The windows and reports came across fine but without the analysis. I've tried setting up a new analysis but I can't find a way to import this or transfer it across (short of copying all the individual files). Just doing a straight copy of the analysis (via Windows Explorer) seems to muck up the dependencies.
Oh well, back to the drawing board! I'll keep trying - I can't believe there isn't a simple way of doing this.
Thanks for your response. It's given me some extra bits to play with.
Chris
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 15:28
Hello Chris,
Try using the menu-item tools, save and restore it in another map.
Regards Frans.

Frans
Thanks for the suggestion. I've just tried this and it's perhaps the best suggestion yet. I saved the project into a different folder then restored it into a third folder.
I've tried compiling both the saved/restored version and the original version and I do in fact have two separate and quite independent applications. That's what I'm after.
The only trouble is that even though I have specified different folder names, the restored version actually creates everything under the original project directory name as a sub-folder of the new name I gave it.
So what do I do now to give this project a new name? Sure I can save the project under a new name but everything else, analysis, sub-folders, etc retain the old name. Changing these loses the linkages.
Thanks for the response, Hans. I'll keep persevering - I reckon there must be a way!
Chris