PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → WinDevUS beta site
WinDevUS beta site
Débuté par Art Bonds, 29 nov. 2004 07:09 - 13 réponses
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 07:09
Greetings All,
I have a favor to ask. The link below is the new WinDevUS beta site, written completely in WebDev. All of the functionality is not yet complete. Not all of the SKU's are input yet, no WinDev examples, content, etc.
If you would could you please review the site and send back suggestions on how we can make it better? Any suggestions for content, new graphics, etc. We are shooting for a go live of Dec 20th or so.
Any feedback appreciated.
http://69.13.97.200/WW70AWP/WW70AWP.EXE/CONNECT/WINDEVUS7
Art Bonds
WinDevUS
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 08:20
Greetings All,
I have a favor to ask. The link below is the new WinDevUS beta site, written completely in WebDev. All of the functionality is not yet complete. Not all of the SKU's are input yet, no WinDev examples, content, etc.
If you would could you please review the site and send back suggestions on how we can make it better? Any suggestions for content, new graphics, etc. We are shooting for a go live of Dec 20th or so.
Art Bonds
WinDevUS

Art
I've just spent a few minutes looking through your site, concentrating more on functionality than design. The various components all seem to work pretty well - I downloaded the testimonials (good to see them in English and smartly presented), looked at the forum, checked out various pages with no problems. It's certainly a good advertisement for WebDev in action. Speed was fine but since I'm on broadband, I'm not in a good position to really judge this.
Just a quick impression on content, style, etc.
I think the theme you've chosen is good. It looks professional without being dowdy. Is this one of WebDev's themes/styles or something you've designed yourself?
Might I suggest that the Home page needs some work. There's a lot of work, a lot of research, gone into the design of websites and the general feeling now is that the first page should be fairly minimalist in design. Enough to let people know they've reached the right site, plus something to entice them to explore further - details should come on subsequent pages. Attractive graphics with not too much text. Certainly a page with a heap of text as you have now is not good. Nor should the page be cluttered like PCSoft's - I reckon their site could do with a complete reworking in line with their latest products. (The testimonial PDFs have the right idea -- attractive design, well laid out, pictures and graphics balancing not too much text.)
I guess if you're just aiming for WD developers, you probably don't need to worry too much. Many developers seem to lack any sense of aesthetics and have little idea of how non-computer people think, at least judging from their software! However, if you are aiming this at a wider audience then I don't think you can ignore the fundamental principles of good web design.
Anyway, that's just my thoughts for what they're worth. Overall I certainly think you're on the right track and well on the way. And congrats for doing it in WebDev, a good advertisement as I said above.
Cheers
Chris L
Melbourne, Oz
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 08:22
To Chris V, I got the following error when I replied to your question.
Permanent Failure: 550-Verification_failed_for_
Delivery last attempted at Mon, 29 Nov 2004 06:08:08 -0000
I will answer it here as there may be others interested in the info:
"Thanks for the feedback. The site was started in WebDev 1.5 at the end of July (analysis stage). We got WebDev 7 late August and converted all the work into 7. The person building the site has a full time job already, so he works on it in the evenings and some on the weekends. I'd estimate maybe 1.5 months of actual full time work has been invested into the project, with maybe another month to get the bugs worked out before we start on phase 2."
Best Regards,
Art
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 08:50
>I think the theme you've chosen is good. It looks professional without being dowdy. Is this one of WebDev's themes/styles or something you've designed yourself?
The blue frame around the navigation buttons on the left and the main content area came from a prior site designed in WB 1.5 by the person that is working on this new site. I don't know where he got it from, but I suspect WB 1.5. The graphics on the top was done by a friend that is a web site designer/builder.
Might I suggest that the Home page needs some work. There's a lot of work, a lot of research, gone into the design of websites and the general feeling now is that the first page should be fairly minimalist in design. Enough to let people know they've reached the right site, plus something to entice them to explore further - details should come on subsequent pages.

So the home page text should probably go on the Products page, above the links to the products themselves... that would flow. I was uneasy with the Home page also, and by moving the text I can concentrate on detailing the sites multi-purpose nature, not only to promote WD (Products) but also promote our developers (Resources) and as a conduit for peer-to-peer support (Forum).
>I guess if you're just aiming for WD developers, you probably don't need to worry too much.
The site is not only aimed at developers looking for a new/additional tool, but also a place for employers/business's to come to search for a developer. The whole reason for the Resources page was developer promotion. Any prospective employer would be able to enter Continent/Country/State and find a list of developers willing to work in his/her area and what tool(s) they use (WD, WB, PPC, AS/400). Any WD developer worldwide would be able to enter his/her information and where he/she is willing to work (multi-select).
Anyway, that's just my thoughts for what they're worth. Overall I certainly think you're on the right track and well on the way. And congrats for doing it in WebDev, a good advertisement as I said above.

Thanks for the feedback!
Art Bonds
WinDevUS
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 11:53
Hi,

It's always good to see a new WinDev site. Nice work, Art

Bye
http://wdgotcha.atspace.com
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 14:36
Hi Art

I agree with Chris, everything seemed real nice to me but the first page should be more inticing, grapgical. I don't do a lot of web programming so take this suggestion for what its worth. I hope everything is doing good for you and your US WinDev operations. I am still really happy with WinDev. Has made programming so much easier for me. Best of luck with the website and merry XMas to you and your family.
John Marrone
Greetings All,
Art Bonds
WinDevUS
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 15:02
Hi, Art,
Looking good, even though I have to admit the blue color is a bit "unfamiliar", I have got used to the yellow Windev?
I agree with Christ , too much text on first page, at least some "Sub titles", maybe.
The buttons on top (horizontal) and those on left is "Subtype" relation? so I would use different colors or different sizes, just a suggestion.
But on the whole, excellent project!
robert zhong

Greetings All,
Art Bonds
WinDevUS
Posté le 29 novembre 2004 - 16:06
Greetings All,
Art Bonds
WinDevUS

Hello Art,
I am not a website-developer neither a website-designer, but I like the radiation of your new website. Only the impression of the home-page looks a little boring, not the borders but the central text. This is an opinion from a web-layman : take it or leave it.
(Don't look to my own web-site, I know already : that's what terrible is meaning. I hope to find time to change that, but...yes....time...)
Kind regards, Teun.

undix
Posté le 30 novembre 2004 - 00:27
I hope to be able to work it in.
Sping is very busy for us.
Bert

Greetings All,
Art Bonds
WinDevUS
Posté le 30 novembre 2004 - 00:29
Hi Art,
Nice work!
Here are a few remarks from my side:
1) Indeed (as stated by other members of this forum) I would make the home page a bit more dynamic and thus inviting. You might think about using some flash animations or so and randomly displaying another one each time a user visits like on the French PCSoft website...
2) I would replace the word 'User' by 'Developer' with regards to the muli-user licenses in the price list. One might think this is the price for licenses for the runtime (meaning end-users).
Just my two (Euro-) cents,
P.
Posté le 30 novembre 2004 - 01:59
Sorry should have bee posted in the US devcon thread.
I hope to be able to work it in.
Sping is very busy for us.
Bert

Greetings All,
Art Bonds
WinDevUS
Posté le 30 novembre 2004 - 06:39
Hi Art,
I am sorry you could not reach me via reply email. I will look into it.
Thanks for the reply.
Regards,
Chris.V
Posté le 30 novembre 2004 - 17:24
Hi Art
Checked out your new site, and I like it a lot
Fantastic to see it done in WebDev, cant wait to get my hands on an English ver
Re the views put forth on the content of the first page, I would like to say some things. It does seem that less is best, and the design gurus seem to go along with this now days. However all the stuff I have read recently on making a site attractive to the search engines seem to make out that they like lots of meaningful content and on the index page so...
This also brings me to the framesets used behind the website. I take it this is the way WebDev works? If so this poses a problem for the index robots, because apparently they dont like the lack of of content on the index page which is mainly defining the frames layout. In the past I have had to place invisible menu hyperlinks and some content in order to get them interested. What do you think

http://www.objeKtive.com
Posté le 20 décembre 2004 - 06:46
Terrible web site in my opinion.
The person who did the website obviously had no sense of aesthetics whatsoever.
Jean-Marc

Greetings All,
Art Bonds
WinDevUS