PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Performance with more than one user
Performance with more than one user
Débuté par Guus Schuijt, 06 déc. 2004 14:32 - 4 réponses
Posté le 06 décembre 2004 - 14:32
Hallo there. My name is Guus Schuijt.
I work and live in the Netherlands (Oosterhout) and I am a Windev User since 1999. Only recently I have heard about this site and I am happy to see that there are more users in the Netherlands. In the past I sent some emails to PCSoft (with questions) but I never got any answer.
Can you guys/girls give me some information about the following?
In an multi-user application there is an entry-panel. One of the buttons the user can push is used to enter a search panel. As long as there is ONE user using this search panel there is no problem. You can type search characters which appear on the screen at the moment of typing. Also the search is done very quick. BUT, as soon as the next person makes use of this possibility, we have a problem. It takes a long time (>10 sec.) for a character to appear and the search action takes a long time. Only the first user can continue working without any problem. Even when the first user closes down this application the other users still have this problem.
What could be the problem???
Regards, Guus.
Posté le 07 décembre 2004 - 06:48
Hi Guus
I've had the same problem and have not found a workaround on this issue. My post and some suggestions on this issue are on the following URL:
http://www.f16.parsimony.net/forum28986/messages/14935.htm
Regards
Marius
I work and live in the Netherlands (Oosterhout) and I am a Windev User since 1999. Only recently I have heard about this site and I am happy to see that there are more users in the Netherlands. In the past I sent some emails to PCSoft (with questions) but I never got any answer.
In an multi-user application there is an entry-panel. One of the buttons the user can push is used to enter a search panel. As long as there is ONE user using this search panel there is no problem. You can type search characters which appear on the screen at the moment of typing. Also the search is done very quick. BUT, as soon as the next person makes use of this possibility, we have a problem. It takes a long time (>10 sec.) for a character to appear and the search action takes a long time. Only the first user can continue working without any problem. Even when the first user closes down this application the other users still have this problem.
Regards, Guus.
Posté le 07 décembre 2004 - 10:51
Some more info would be helpful:
Hyperfile or SQL
Network info - speed, card vendor, etc
Type of server
If hyperfile - shared files or RPC?
Shared exe on server on seperate app on each computer?
OS versions server and workstations?
Regards, Guus.
Posté le 08 décembre 2004 - 01:09
Hello,
In Windev 8, switching off proportional scrollbar in file tables can improve performance dramatically.
Best regards,
Piet
Posté le 09 décembre 2004 - 15:24
Hi All,
Some statistics on this subject. Marius should have seen these already.
I have checked how my latest application works on my simple network (10Mb/s) of 2 m/c running XP Home (server) and W98 (client). The results are interesting, but not encouraging.
I read all the info. on WinDev help, and believed what they said about RPC on hyperfile, and took on-board the value of using Queries. My app. therefore uses queries to read any sets of hyperfile records, and uses hReadSeekFirst etc. to read single records.

The following is based on a common requirement:
a) read hyperfile of 2000 records (the query result is about 120,000 bytes), fill a table with all 2000 records by programming;
b) read several records from a different hyperfile and fill a second table on the same screen by programming when moving between lines (same 2 lines in all tests, obviously).
When running the app. on the server m/c all response is instantaneous, with or without the client displaying the same screen.
Client only:
- pointing the client at the server files via network
- 2 seconds to fill table (2000 network packets)
- instant movement between lines in table (50 packets)
- using RPC
- 6 seconds to fill table (600 packets)
- 3 seconds to move between lines (110 Packets)
Server m/c displaying the same screen, and timing the client:
- network
- 14 seconds to fill table
- instant movement between lines
- RPC
- 6 seconds to fill table
- 4 seconds to move from line to line
Network traffic numbers come from the packet log of the firewall.
Does anyone understand this? Most worrying is how slow RPC is when moving between lines. Is WD9 client server based on the RPC server of WD8?
Regards,
Andy