PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → HardDisk Serial #
HardDisk Serial #
Débuté par Paulo Sousa, 27 déc. 2004 02:37 - 2 réponses
Posté le 27 décembre 2004 - 02:37
Hello all,

Does anyone knows how to read the phisical serial number of an harddisk? (not the label serial number)

This is to protect an application. beside the serial number of the harddisk is there another "number" unique to one computer?

Is it possible to read the macaddress of a network card?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your attention
Posté le 28 décembre 2004 - 14:53
Hi Paulo,
we are looking into the same problem, maybe together we'll come to a practical solution:
a) using the GetvolumeInformation API does nothing, since the returned number can be changed by any kid
b) there is some other way with Windows API's, a company named "www.browsedatabase.com" offers a 30$ Vbasic program and states they are using Windows API and supposedly retrieve the real hdd serial number; if you use that you still have the problem of making a DLL, calling that from WD..., also they state that this will work for IDE drives (probably not for RAID, SCSI, ..)
c) There should be another way, sicne everybody must have the same problem: i.e., reading the mainboard-id, processor-id, etc. Possibly the only way is to do it via a Vbasic/etc.-Program, make a DLL and call that ???

There should be a simpler way - would any of our colleagues be able to suggest a solution?

Regards,
Joe
Posté le 29 décembre 2004 - 01:00
I managed to build a activex control in VB6 that reads the HDD serial number. But I prefer to have the all solution developed with Windev.