PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Magic Programmer new to Windev.
Magic Programmer new to Windev.
Débuté par Steve Erts, 09 juin 2005 00:40 - 2 réponses
Posté le 09 juin 2005 - 00:40
Hi,
I know that some of you folks are also Magic programmers. I have been using Magic for 10 years and am evaluating Windev for a new project.
Runtime pricing aside, I am interested in any insights any of you might have regarding Magic vs. Windev.
Posté le 09 juin 2005 - 01:25
Hi,
I know that some of you folks are also Magic programmers. I have been using Magic for 10 years and am evaluating Windev for a new project.
Runtime pricing aside, I am interested in any insights any of you might have regarding Magic vs. Windev.

Hello Steve,
Though I am not an experienced WinDev developer and not an 'old' forum-member I say welcome to you in our (yes, also yours) forum.
I am an old (yes, realy too) Magician : almost 10 years I have developed with Magic starting with V5.61 DOS and SCO-UNIX (XENIX), all apps converted to V8.30 and now also 9.40 'on the shelf'. I had my first experience some years ago with the demo-version of V5.5, but that did not like me. Last year I start again with demo V7.5 and that was the reason why I have decided to change my development tool from Magic to WinDev.
Reasons :
1. Magic:runtimes WinDev:no runtimes
2. Magic: maintenance expensive WinDev: no maintenace, upgrades you can buy for a lower price (I can now buy each year 4 full WinDev competetive versions against Magic 1-year maintenance)
3. Magic: developing is not simple for a 3GL programmer, you had complete change the way of thinking WinDev: it's the old 3GL way on a new 5GL manner
4. Magic: most of the time third party tools needed WinDev: almost no third party tools needed, all included
5. Magic: when you knew V5.5, you had to learn a lot to understand V8.30 and now again to know all about V9.40 WinDev: the way of programming stays the same 'only' each new version gives more possibilities e.g. commands
I think there are more important differences, but then you had to know a lot more of WinDev than I know. Maybe anyone else can complete this list.
At this forum there are more old (literally and not) Magicians.
When you decide to vote for WinDev (think about it !!) I am sure you never regret.
Keep well and kind regards from the Netherlands,
Teun.

undix
Posté le 09 juin 2005 - 22:30
Steve,
Magic development is quick for what it is good at, then becomes very difficult for things it is not good for (I hated doing nested loops with all those layers).
WinDev development is quick because of RAD, and does not become tortuous when you need to do real programming. It is more explicit than those not-very-obvious switch settings of Magic.
The Hyperfile database currently suffers performance problems in multi-user mode, hopefully to be resolved in version 9.
These are, in my view, the deciders apart from runtime cost.
I wish you well in your decision,
Andy
>Runtime pricing aside, I am interested in any insights any of you might have regarding Magic vs. Windev.