PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → updating programs of customers, brainstorming
updating programs of customers, brainstorming
Débuté par Frans, 09 juin 2005 01:28 - 10 réponses
Posté le 09 juin 2005 - 01:28
Hello to you all,
My customers get 3-6 times ayear an update. Normally I send an exe file via email. Works fine. No problem.
The last half year many off the attechment are lost. I think it is the personal firewall off the customer or the provider.
I want to update another way.
I can put the exe within a zip-file or rename the exe in exa but this is to difficult for the customer.
I am thinking about placing the exe on a webpage with a one-time password mailed to the customer. Can I do this with webdev or windev? Is it save?
Other suggestions?
Regards Frans
Any suggestions about are welcome.
Posté le 09 juin 2005 - 02:11
Hi Frans,
there are anti-virus applications wich block these .exe files.
You can change the settings of these anti-virus programms.
I don't think that your customers want these setting changed.
A solution is to make a application like an automated WdZip.
Send your update as a Wdz-file or Zip-file.
In your application you can run the external WdZip-programm,
close your application and lets the WdZip-programm unzip your update-file.
greetings,
Joop

Hello to you all,
My customers get 3-6 times ayear an update. Normally I send an exe file via email. Works fine. No problem.
The last half year many off the attechment are lost. I think it is the personal firewall off the customer or the provider.
I can put the exe within a zip-file or rename the exe in exa but this is to difficult for the customer.
I am thinking about placing the exe on a webpage with a one-time password mailed to the customer. Can I do this with webdev or windev? Is it save?
Other suggestions?
Regards Frans
Posté le 09 juin 2005 - 10:40
Hi,
You should check out TrueUpdate on www.trueupdate.com
This allows you to build a professional update system that can download and install updates and patches.
Some of the features:
- Versioncontrol
- Support for passwords
- Downloading from HTTP, SHTTP, FTP, SFTP, a networkshare or a combination of these
- Updates can be made via a Wizard-style process or silently in the background
- Multilingual
It isn't cheap but it has saved me a lot of time and money.
Regards,
Werner

Hello to you all,
Other suggestions?
Regards Frans
Posté le 09 juin 2005 - 15:02
Hi Frans,
there are anti-virus applications wich block these .exe files.
You can change the settings of these anti-virus programms.
I don't think that your customers want these setting changed.
A solution is to make a application like an automated WdZip.
Send your update as a Wdz-file or Zip-file.

hello,
same risk, as ZIP files are also used to carry viruses...
Why not just create a web site with the most simple tool available, be it Frontpage, a homepage tool offered by most hosting providers nowadays, or whatever, and then simply make available the EXE file for download. No need for Webdev, Windev and very simple to put in place.
Regards
mat
Posté le 09 juin 2005 - 20:41
>Hello to you all,
Thanks for al the reactions.
Trueupdate looks like a nice solution but a bit expensive.
A zip is often alse blocked if it has an exe in int.
Perhaps WD9 (stil waiting) has a nice solution.
Uploading to a website is a solution to but everyone can download an update and the question is how can I easily make one-time passwords and send them to the customers (automatic). Anybody any idea??
The WdZip-programm is perhaps a nice solution which I wil investigate.
Regards and thanks Frans.
Posté le 09 juin 2005 - 21:52
> Anybody any idea??
Maybe : http://www.ipswitch.com/downloads/index.html
I use the non commercial version for updating my website.
Regards, Teun.
Posté le 10 juin 2005 - 03:22
Hi Frans
U could password protect that page and just email the pwd to one customer only. If you have more than 1 customer but not too many, just do a page for each... no real programming needed, quick & dirty but it works
I often do this for my small # of customers, & then I remove the option after a short while

http://www.objeKtive.com
Posté le 10 juin 2005 - 10:56
Hi Frans
U could password protect that page and just email the pwd to one customer only. If you have more than 1 customer but not too many, just do a page for each... no real programming needed, quick & dirty but it works
I often do this for my small # of customers, & then I remove the option after a short while

HiGuy,
Thank you for your answer.
I have to many (little) customers. So this is to much work. It has to be automated.
Regards Frans
Posté le 10 juin 2005 - 11:17
Hi Frans,
wanted to tell you: WinDev 9 gives you the ability for automatic updates! Your software searches a site for download, downloads an update and installs the update. All in one.
Regards,
Guenter
Posté le 10 juin 2005 - 13:32
>Hi Guenter,
Sounds great!
But what about individual passwords or something like that.
If one customer has the name of the site and/or password others will have that soon also.
One time for each user. Is this possible?
thanks in advance.
Regards Frans.
Posté le 10 juin 2005 - 16:33
You might want to check out Setup Builder by Fredrich Linder.
Glenn Rathke
Hello to you all,
Other suggestions?
Regards Frans