PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → WinDev 8 - first impressions
WinDev 8 - first impressions
Débuté par Guenter Predl, 19 jan. 2004 11:10 - Aucune réponse
Posté le 19 janvier 2004 - 11:10
Have been trying WD8 with a small test project right now.
1) WD8 is in French language, but its very easy to use WD8 if you have WD75 at hand. If you know the windows and messages of WD75 - after a while you know their text by heart - its intuitive to use WD8.
2) WD8 is very similar to WD75. One is getting used to some improvements immediately. The list of windows in the project became a treeview with a lot more infos accessible.
3) WD8 seems to use much more computer resources than WD75 - RAD is much slower for instance. To call up a window and getting its property window, even on my P4/2.4GHz takes its time.
4) Things look better in many ways. Creating a new file in WD75 will end up in a search - where is my file now? WD8 puts the files together neatly on screen, no files shown over each other ..
5) Quite a number of supercontrols gave been added.
6) There are 9 UML-diagrams, that's nice, but I cannot see a way to let these diagrams influence RAD. My impression was that the UML-diagrams generate an application. Maybe, I did not see the how-to or did not understand. I only understand, that the class-UML-diagramm will generate classes and their associated properties and methods.
7) An application generated by WD8-RAD looks much the same like one generated by WD75-RAD. Cannot see lots of differences here.
8) Migration. Beware of migrating an English WD75 project with English groupware to WD8. Some incompatabilities ...
9) For multilingual projects: The captions (libellé) of controls still do not offer 'right' justification. They have lots of unnecessary adjustment methods for the libellé, but not 'a droit' - though this was a promised feature for the next version. This is one of the most needed features for multilingual projects, because windows will look UGLY with left-adjusted captions.
10) RAD still works on basis of the *.mdl files. I'll write a translator for these ...
Best regards,
Guenter