PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Windev Capabilities
Windev Capabilities
Débuté par Gordon, 16 juin 2006 13:20 - 2 réponses
Posté le 16 juin 2006 - 13:20
Folks,
looking for some quick confirmations re Windev Capabilities.
1. In Analysis if I build a database schema will Windev build this.
2. In Analysis if i change a database Schema will windev amend this to keep it in Sync
3. If I use a database such as MSSQL or MySQL 5.0 and build triggers can i build and maintain them in Windev?.
4. What are the problems with the RAD screens developed by Windev.
5. Can I use already built xforms in windev r should i redevelop my forms in windev.
I have version 9 and to be honest I havent had anytime to look at it due to previous commitments. I am know fortuntate enough to have a pressing need to lokk and possibly build a prototype app and I am thinking about an initial C/S development using back end DB with triggers. Later I may consider the web and possibly WEBDEV but other technology looks better at the moment for this.
many thanks in advance
Posté le 19 juin 2006 - 11:22
Hello Gordon,
Few answers below...
Folks,
looking for some quick confirmations re Windev Capabilities.
1. In Analysis if I build a database schema will Windev build this.

--> I guess you talk about "real" SQL databases (not Hyperfile). Yes, the *structure* of the databse tables will be built, but beware ! Depending on the way you connect to the database (ie OLEDB) the automatic identity fields will not be created the right way. And worst, the integrity rules you will have defined in WdAna won't be applied to the SQL database.
>2. In Analysis if i change a database Schema will windev amend this to keep it in Sync
--> Using Hyperfile, Yes. For other databases you will have to do the job.
3. If I use a database such as MSSQL or MySQL 5.0 and build triggers can i build and maintain them in Windev?.

--> No. I usually use an external tool (ie PowerDesigner) to build and maintain my databases structure, triggers, sequences, ...
>4. What are the problems with the RAD screens developed by Windev.
--> I don't know, I do not use RAD.
5. Can I use already built xforms in windev r should i redevelop my forms in windev.

--> I guess no.
I have version 9 and to be honest I havent had anytime to look at it due to previous commitments. I am know fortuntate enough to have a pressing need to lokk and possibly build a prototype app and I am thinking about an initial C/S development using back end DB with triggers. Later I may consider the web and possibly WEBDEV but other technology looks better at the moment for this.
many thanks in advance

--> It's hard to give you some advice with so few technical details about your project. Using triggers can be a good solution, but it may be hard to siwtch to another database engine, if needed in the future. There are alternative solutions like Soap or building your own socket-based server, and even working with classical SQL requests if your app does not need to run big processes.
If you need some help, I am volunteer from coming to Australia and give you a hand :-))))
Regards,
Michel Fages
Windever since '94
Posté le 19 juin 2006 - 14:02
Michel,
many thanks.. keen to know of Oz based developers etc as once i build a quick demo it may involve me requiring additional resources to build a larger solution.
I am looking to build a solution involving filling in many forms (hence my xforms question).. I am ok on the database side and it will most likely be MSSQL / MYSQL or DB2 (depends on xml requiremnts) and use triggers etc. I am keen to look at web development but worried about webdev capabilities at present.
Gordon