PC SOFT

FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WEBDEV 2024 → WebDev & AS/400
WebDev & AS/400
Débuté par Michael, 13 nov. 2008 00:34 - 1 réponse
Posté le 13 novembre 2008 - 00:34
Hi:
I would need to create a web application accessing AS400 Database.
As I will not have access to the AS400 during development, is there any tool that I can install and simulates the AS400 RDBMS? What would be the right way to work in these cases?

Thanks;
Mike
Posté le 16 novembre 2008 - 18:31
Hi Mike,

I don't think there's any tool out there that can simulate AS400 RDBMS.
That's why Aura as developped the Easycom product to interface with WD/WB.

If you use Easycom in your final project version with the AS400, you must import files structures thru Easycom since there are some additionnal informations created in the analysis by Easycom to define the files correctly. At this time you can use WB native access (Hread(), etc), WB queries or SQL queries on AS400 files. You can even execute AS400 programs directly from WB and if needed, do real transactionning to AS400 journal files.

If your final version is to be use with IBM's Client Access OLE/DB, you're limited to SQL calls (SQLCOnnect(), SQLFetch(), etc). At this time you can try to create a set of HF Classic files with exactly the same structures as the PF and LF files on the AS400 to develop your site. At production stage, you then change your files connexion to Client Access. Not sure of the performance. Be aware that SQL flavors are a bit different between WB and DB2/400. Some WB SQL commands and functions may not be working correctly once executed on DB2/400 and WB SQL is quite limited compared to IBM's functionnalities.

So if your client is serious, you must use Easycom and at least have access to a 'test' version of AS400 files in the development stage.

I develop almost exclusively for the AS400 and in my sense, Easycom is a must (but extra cost is implied).

Christian

Michael a écrit dans le message de news <d728a717c9e5e43469f92f02112526b8@news.pcsoft> :
Hi:
I would need to create a web application accessing AS400 Database.
As I will not have access to the AS400 during development, is there any tool that I can install and simulates the AS400 RDBMS? What would be the right way to work in these cases?

Thanks;
Mike