FORUMS PROFESSIONNELS
WINDEVWEBDEV et WINDEV Mobile

Accueil → WINDEV 2024 → Purchasing & Performance Advice
Purchasing & Performance Advice
Débuté par Brian Stephen, 26 avr. 2008 14:09 - 5 réponses
Posté le 26 avril 2008 - 14:09
I am looking to purchase WinDev/WebDev.
QUESTION 1:
The 1st application I need to create needs to run against a Microsoft SQL Server. How much performance does the "SQL Server Native Access" offer over development without (As I have multiple SQL Server's to run against, the cost of a copy per server makes WinDev a very expensive development environment)? What advantage does it offer from a programming perspective over ODBC or ADO (i.e. better RAD support, etc.)?
QUESTION 2:
I you have 1 physical server that has 2 or more CPU's with a copy of SQL Server per processor (i.e. 1 server with 2 Xeon processors with 2 SQL Server Processor Licences) do you have to buy i copy of the "SQL Server Native Access" per processor or just 1 copy per physical server?
QUESTION 3:
As WebDev can create multiple Web targets (i.e. PHP, .NET, JAVA), what advantage does purchasing the WebDev App Server do besides run the native WebDev code (more features?, better performance?, etc.)?
QUESTION 4:
HyperFile: Does the included HyperFile system include a Royalty-Free Client-Server system? How does it perform compared to MS SQL or MySQL?
Thank you in advance,
Brian Stephen
Posté le 27 avril 2008 - 10:22
Brian,
Our company is a very new user of WinDev and WebDev but we have learned a lot in the past 6 months.
Question 1: No Information
Question 2: No Information
Question 3: We tried development with PHP. It was Terrible. We decided the only way to use WebDev was to use the application broker. It works well and is very fast. The only problem we have seen is that when end users have set the video DPI to anything other than the normal (96) the items on the page are not laid out properly. We have seen this with our test site and with every WebDev site we looked at.
Question 4: We have done extensive testing for our application that has about 15 tables with a maximum of 250,000 records per table. HyperFile Client/Server seems to perform very well. Our tests with MSSQL using indicate that it is faster especially on large queries.
We have decided to go into Live Beta testing using HyperFile, If the customers are happy then we will stay with HyperFile. MSSQL is our second choice.
Posté le 27 avril 2008 - 10:23
Hi Brian,
I have never used the native access client but regularly use OLEDB and have used ODBC to connect to MSSQL databases with up to 200 tables and 1 million records per table.
I have found the speed, when populating data with queries, to be very good and could never justify the expense of the native access.
Milton
Posté le 29 avril 2008 - 09:01
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to hear that PHP was a cost effective method for web deployment as the cost of one web broker per server gets real pricey fast.
The HyperFile performance sounds not bad, but I'd love to hear if anyone has used the MS SQL Native Access system.
Brian
Posté le 29 avril 2008 - 09:01
ANOTHER QUESTION: How well does WinDev/WebDev import/translate MS ACCESS application? Does WinDev/WebDev convert the app to HyperFile as well?
Thx,
Brian Stephen
Posté le 29 avril 2008 - 12:16
Hi Brian,
just this about performance: we are developing Windev-applications for a long time now.
Depending on our customers we use:
DB2/400 on iSeries: worked with OLEDB (sometimes slow) and Easycom For Windev (extremely fast - my personal favorite, no one can beat the performance and stability of an iSeries!)
Hyperfile Classic: we have one customer with about 200 tables, some of them containing more than 1.000.000 rows and about 35 end users => no problem with performance (thank our programmers do a good job)
Hyperfile C/S: more stable, faster than the classic one and you get a number of extras: this would be my choise if you have to use Hyperfiles...
Geert